Two switches, one account, two copies of Animal Crossing

splinters69

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, this is a bit complicated. I have a Switch loaded with digital games including a digital version of Animal Crossing. I currently live in Thailand so 6 hours ahead of the UK.
My wife is stuck in the UK (thanks to no flights) for the foreseeable so I bought her a Switch and Animal Crossing (physical).
She is not very tech savvy, so I thought it worth using my Nintendo account to set it up for her.
Now, it would be great if she could also access my library of digital games (Mario Kart for instance) and due to the time difference we are not likely to play the same game at the same time....except Animal Crossing. Both consoles would be permanently online (used in the home).

So, if i set the new Switch up as a secondary console, can she play my digital games without affecting the ability for us to visit each other in Animal Crossing?
Animal crossing is the main reason for getting the console for her but, with around 200GB of games on my account, a shame if she couldnt play some for free.
i also bought her a code for Switch online, would she still need that to play AC online if we shared an account? Its late here in Thailand and its due for delivery in the UK tomorrow so any advice is welcome asap. Thanks.

You can only use digital games on one Switch at a time.
As soon as you turn on the other Switch the game will pause on the Switch you’re using.

Yes, i know, thats why I suggested we wouldnt be playing the same games together due to the time difference other than AC and she has a cart for that. Don't expect to play any other games at the same time but I saw a post somewhere where having the same account caused problems visiting each other in AC....cant really get a definitive answer.

Now I'm not 100% certain, but I think you need to make her console the primary one for your account then she needs to add her own account on that console too. That way she can access all your games, but by playing on her own account it avoids the issue of games being paused if you both try to access them at the same time as well as allowing you to play Animal Crossing together. Your console would then be the secondary one for your account so you'd need to connect to the internet to be able to start any of the digital games.
Does that make sense?

It does Miss Mandy but, as the main gamesplayer, I would want mine to be the primary console. We have all we need to get setup, it just seems a shame if she cant also play some from my library and she will need to set her own Nintendo account up...which will be fun. Thanks

I can't see any benefit to you having yours as the primary console to be honest.
You've got your account so as long as you connect to the internet regularly you'll still have the same access to your games and content as the primary console does. By making her console the primary one and have her set up her own account you both get to use the games you've purchased whilst also being able to play together online.
It's no different to PS4 and Xbox in that respect. Set the other one as the main/home console and your own as the secondary then both consoles can access everything.
To my knowledge you can't be logged in online on two different consoles at the same time so I think (but I'm not certain) she'll need her own account anyway for you to be able to play online together. You could possibly create that yourself on the website then just give her the details to log onto her console with.

Last edited:
Very helpful Gonzo. Given my wife's total lack of tech 'know-how' and the first video which shows only one profile can play at the same time, I think a new account is the way to go here. She is more into party games like snipperclips and just dance which I don't have anyway. Mario Kart is about the only game she would play so I suppose picking up a cheap cart is a lot easier. Great advice as always, much appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom