1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two subs... so fabulous I must tell someone!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Bruce123, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Bruce123

Bruce123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I have recewntly been lucky enough to aquire a second sub and am so pleased with the results I thought I would share my joy!

My listening room (lounge actually) is about 14ft by 22ft with all the gear down one end and the seats down the other. I have been using a single M&K MX200 for some time with which I was very pleased. I recently aquired an older MX100 from a forum member and have been stunned by the difference.

Initially I tried placing the subs under the front left and right speakers (M&K 150's) which was aesthetically pleasing but made me think I had just wasted my money. It sounded less controlled and wallowy.

Fortunately my wife loves the movies as much as I and was happy for furniture to be moved to accomodate the latest purchase. The best sound was acheived by having the 200 under the front left speaker firing towards the listening position and the 100 placed against the right wall mid-way firing across the room. I set the processor (lexicon DC2) to zero and set-up the subs independently to the desired volume using their volume controls then turned them both on and used the processor to make adjustments.

Now to the good bit. I have to say I have been blown away. If anyone is umming and aaring about a second sub purchase, do it. The bass sounds deeper and much more authoritative. It sounds tight and controlled but the biggest difference is in what you feel.

For example in LOTR:FOTR when Bilbo drops the ring before trotting off it sounds and feels like a wrecking ball has been dropped on the floor. Or in The Matrix when Agent Smith revvs the truck before demolishing the phonebox it is as if a real truck is in the room. So much more weight has been added that the sounds now appear to be much more realistic. I thought plaster was going to come off the walls during Underworld!

Anyway I am sure a lot of you already know all about this but I just had to share my delight and hopefully encourage others to experience the magic of multiple subwoofers. Thanks for reading.

Bruce

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Glad you're happy with it, I've been using a pair of subs for 6 months now and doubt I would go back to a single unit as they become far more flexible in modes of operation.

Having said that, 2 subs are generally a real pain in the arse to set up just right which means that it's not a configuration for the uninitiated or the faint-hearted. Have you tried the 2 units colocated? :)

3. Bruce123

Bruce123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    eviljohn2
    I have to say that finding the best positions took some time and patience, but to me that was part of the fun of this hobby. As for co-located, do you mean side by side or one on top of the other? What might I expect from such a set-up?

Bruce

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I agree that it is part of the fun for us but it certainly isn't for everyone and using multiple subs can greatly reduce the sound quality and output if done without care.

By colocated I mean having them adjacent - whether just placed next to each other or stacked shouldn't make a lot of difference but although you lose the immediate ability to tune the frequency response there is a significant increase in output and headroom which means you can reduce distortion levels by large amounts. That may not be quite as necessary with your M&Ks though. :devil:

There's quite a lot of information and experience in my thread here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181805&highlight=dual+subs :)

5. Bruce123

Bruce123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, I'll take a look at your thread and experiment. Cheers.

Bruce

6. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    2 stacks of 2 work well for me, god knows how many hours and software packages i ran to acheive my current understanding and location.
    Needless to say i am single now which should serve as something of a warning to all subsonic addicts.

<20hz is for life, not just christmas.

Regards

Steven

7. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +773
    I can appreciate what 2 subs feels like as I used to have 2
    KEF THX subs. It can really make everything sound 'right'. :clap:

I upgraded to a single more cable sub (SVS PC Ultra) and I'm even happier now.
    However, the 'sweet spot' was much larger with 2 subs.
    If I could afford a 2nd SVS and find the space for it, I'd have no hesitation.