1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Subs or One?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by johna, Aug 13, 2001.

1. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Should I buy Two B&W ASW500 - Or One M&K VX100?

I am going to audition later this week but any ideas greatly appreciated.

John

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    The consensus is that two subs are better than one. I must admit that I have been thinking of dual subs lately, and question I ask myself is: "How cheep can you go before you start adding more bad noise?” I reckon that if the sound of a single sub does something for you, then buying two will only enforce that view, rather than be overkill. Seems obvious, but originally I thought that two subs would cause all sorts of bass cancellations and such. Try setting up just one REL Strata III - you'll be on the job a fortnight getting it right, so what will two be like? Hearing two subs in a demo room was a revelation. Everything was just so right and "even". Personally, I'd go for the dual ASW500's (if they sound good - had a home demo?)

Russell

3. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No I haven't had a home demo - I can pick up the ASW 500 for abou £350/375 EA but that's from Tottenham Court road - so I think a home audition would be out of the question, I will definitely demo in the show room though.

The killer question is:

Is one high end market sub better than two mid range!

But the only way I can tell is by trial I suppose

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I asked this question to M&K- Q. Should I go for two v1250thx or one mx350thx? A. Go for one MX350thx as it is a much better sub(two 12inch drivers in a push pull config)

My advise would be to try and find a dealer who will let you do a comparison in your home

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How big is your room?<br />Do you listen to alot of (real) music?<br />I have no experience of the BW500 but have played with the larger/older models of which they were all very good.<br />The MK 100 is a super super sub and normally i find i am the world's biggest advocate of (at least) 2 sub set-up's.<br />But not knowing how good the BW's are and knowing how good the MK is your point of "beauty and/or the beast" is well founded.<br />In a very small room you would most likely find the MK more than enough but still prone to the acoustic variances/pitfalls of a single sub set-up. Unless you find the MK to be leagues ahead of the BW's in all-round performance i would invariably take the 2 sub option.<br />Be very clear and honest with yourself as to what it is exactly you want from a sub - it's an expensive mistake to make!!!!!<br />If you want blood and thunder then buy blood and thunder and be happy if you want subtlety and nuance then buy that.<br />Always take plenty of known material to test and take your time, try and obtain test disc's also this will tell you how efficient the cross-over is, how low it will go and cross-over points for main speakers if large etc etc.

[ 13-08-2001: Message edited by: SteveEX ]</p>

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Personally, having just put an ASW 5600 in today, I would go for the twin 500's. The MX100 is designed to fit into situations where a small sub is wanted, so you are paying for the 'convenience' as well as the sound.

The 500 doesn't suffer from this, so using two of them should sound great!