1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two stupid questions..me thinks

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by ani4ani, Feb 18, 2003.

Tags:
  1. ani4ani

ani4ani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    I have Sky+ and fancy buying a second box for the normal freeveiw channels. I am not interested in the second subscription route with Sky. I only have the sports channels and I will not be sitting in the kitchen or bedroom to watch them.

Basically this so the kids can watch the usual kids channels etc. [I cannot receive terrestrial channels]

I want to install the new box with the existing sky+ to save all the wiring etc. I use video transmitters to transmit all over the house.

First Question.

Can I use a standard sky remote and the sky+ remote to control the respective boxes without effecting each other. The intention would be to have a standard sky remote in the reception areas - would it change the channels on the Sky+ box?

Second Question. [rather depends on the above answers]

Can I split in someway a signal from the LNB to feed to the additional box to save cabling or do I need to seperately connect to LNB. I guess that is above is yes the channels will change then I will locate the additional box elsewhere and cable directly and also eliminate the remote problem

thx for replies

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    1) The codes for SKY+ and the standard digibox are different so they can be used in the same room together and not just to p**s me off and make my Pana VCR useless for controlling SKY+ :)

2) You can split it but there will complications involving voltage switching sent to the LNB and the fact that a LNB can only be on one polarity and band at any one time.
    For a normal home there is no practical option but to run an independent connection to the LNB for a second digibox which allows it full access to the channels available.
    You will also need a BBC FTV smartcard for the standard digibox.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    IIRC $ky+ has 2 tuners and therefore is supplied with a double LNB.
    Don't know if this would work but could you not take one of the LNB signals to another digibox?

Mark.

4. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have Sky+ and it was supplied with a Quad (4 output) LNB as standard. So going back to the original poster's question... the best option is to connect the additional digibox to (one of the spare F-connectors on) the LNB separately with a new cable run. The videosender route is in fact unecessarily complex.

5. ani4ani

ani4ani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Thanks for the repies. What is the Video sender complexity. I want to transmit pictures to 5 televisions from either box [kitchen, two bedroons, office and a conservatory] - can you advise a simpler approach? I live in a house that was wired with a single point in the living room. Short of re-wiring to every television, the video sender route seems the cheapest and cleanest.