1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two steps forward, one step back?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GazTheHat, Dec 17, 2004.

1. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi All,

Current Setup: Panny Viera 42", Pioneer DV-444, Yam RX640-RDS, Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 + 8.2, Xbrick, and QED Cables (Sqart/Silver Ann)

I can't make up my mind what to do regarding my speaker setup. I originally bought a Videologic DTS speaker package, which worked well for my flat. But everyone was talking about seperates being better, and the old adage bigger is better i thought was true. So when i got a bigger house, i got the Wharfeys, which are marvellous.

My Viera arrives on monday and i'm thinking about swapping my speakers for some Kef 2005.2's, to give a more discreet appearance in the room (Rather than the biggies i have now), but still kick ass. Out with the WEGA & floorstanders, in with the plasma and sattelites. :confused:

Am i going backwards getting an all-in-one again?? Everywhere i've read about the Kef's highly rate them. The chap at CreativeAudio said the Wharfey's would give better sound though.

I've a fairly square room, about 17.5ft x 13ft and a central seating position. It's mainly a home-cinema setup for movies, i rarely care about music. (Kick into new dad mode) I just dont fancy these floorstanders and the rears on stands when the nipper starts moving/walking/grabbing.

Will the Kef hack it?

If anyone knows of some suppliers up north of the border, if you could let me know that would be great!! :thumbsup:

Cheers,
    GazTheHat

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    If music isn’t important to you then the Kef eggs should be okay, but I reckon the soundstage will not be as good as your current setup.

My best advice is to go for a demo and make your own mind up :)

3. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    You're right, i think i'll go for a demo to check 'em out. Just have to find a stockist near Glasgow now....

I'll let you'z know what i think.

It's not so much the front floorstanders i mind, it's just the cluncky bookshelf rears and stands, easy for the nipper to mess with.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Can you not wall mount the rears. They would probably sound better higher up anyway than on stands.

5. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Sevenoaks should definitely have the Eggs. Give them a call on 0141 332 9655 to arrange a demo. I got a demo of these a couple of weeks ago from Sevenoaks in Aberdeen and was well impressed until I heard the Q4's

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    The Q4's are in a different league to the 'eggs'. They're even better than the 5005's imo, especially for music.

7. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    How much do the Q4's come in at then?? I've arranged a demo of some eggs, for an hours time. Apparently they've got some brushed Alluminium finsh ones, ex-display (for what seems a good price) and they're pairing it with a Rel Quake Sub.

Sound like a decent setup? Currently i don't have a sub, but have heard good things about the Rel Quake's. Anyone think this is a good setup?? For this money it has got to be, and will probably be my last setup!!

8. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    :) The number of times newbies say this :) :D It is just the begining :) I said this a while ago, and my system has transformed completely since joining this forum, tiz like a drug :).

The Q4's are very good for the money, but I'd say try to get a listen to the Quad 21L's and 12L's too. The 21L's are a little more expensive than the Kefs, but, they sound amazing :). I believe the Q4's are around the £400 mark (I could be wrong though).

9. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hispek do the Q4's for £290 but can't deliver them unfortunately. Sevenoaks currently sell them for £350.

10. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hardly a newbie, check out posts on umdvd in 2000/1, just a newbie to this forum :)

They have some Kef KHT 3005's. Am i right in saying (and the shop) in that they're limited edition, in that they're just the 2005.2's with a different finish?? Quite a good price on some ex-display. Anyone know anything about them?

Was also gonna match them with a Rel Quake. Decent setup? :rolleyes:

11. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    £290 is a bargain :eek:

12. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    No kidding. I just about fell off my seat when I was told the price. Kef should get their act together and allow online retailers to send their speakers. I ended up having to buy mine from Sevenoaks at £350

13. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    That's what I bought mine for. Hi Spek offer great prices and are very recommended :thumbsup:

14. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I was told that Kef don't allow postage of Uni-Q speakers, that's why i can't get the Mk2's retails. Strange. Makes things a little tougher when shops are 5 hours away, eats all the money saved!

15. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Well, why not seeif Parcel 2 go will pick it up for you and drop it off? Technically, they are not posting it :) And you should still make a good saving.

16. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Kef don't allow distance selling, I suppose it protects the smaller retailer!