• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Two speakers from one channel without damage

jpmoriarty

Standard Member
So I have a L and R channel going outside from my audio selector which has been great, only this year when having some landscaping done the hired help managed to destroy the R channel, though not before turfing over the cable. So my L channel works fine, and I get nothing out of my R. What i was wondering is whether I could hook up another cable from the one that does work so that I get mono sound? Bearing in mind that even if i could do it, then i'd only have one channel from my audio selector working, so wouldn't want to damage the amp (sonos). Grateful for any thoughts on how I can get multiple speakers running again, as running a new cable outside isn't an option any more!

Thanks in advance

John

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Why can you not run another cable? It is not hard to bury another cable, you would not need to run it all the way inside since you could connect it with the existing cable near the house and then just run it to the speaker since it is probably the buried bit that is damaged. Easy to bury a cable under grass and will grow back quickly so not see the run.
Connecting the 2 speakers to the same channel would either double the impedance if in series and make them sound very quiet or half the impedance which could damage the amp. Also since you will be only hearing one channel the you could miss part of the sound/track.

jpmoriarty

Standard Member
Much as I'm sure your knowledge of people's gardens is extremely thorough, you obviously haven't visited mine as your assumptions are incorrect: it actually will be quite hard to bury a cable. In fact, as per my original post, it's not an option, no matter what your opinion is!

Jase

Distinguished Member
Wiring them in Series is an option but bear in mind the impedance will double (as mentioned by PSM1 above). What might be difficult is that you'll need to access the cable that goes to the working speaker as one of them has to be connected to the speaker that isn't currently working.

A set of wireless speakers might be a better option. At least you'll still have stereo etc.

Deluxe Indoor & Outdoor Wireless Speakers - Wire Free AV

Not heard them myself but it's worth considering those or something similar.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
No need to be so aggressive! Just exploring the options, maybe a description of the garden and issues with running a new cable would help. Sometimes people think something can not be done but a little creative thinking can mean it can.
Hope you get it sorted.

Much as I'm sure your knowledge of people's gardens is extremely thorough, you obviously haven't visited mine as your assumptions are incorrect: it actually will be quite hard to bury a cable. In fact, as per my original post, it's not an option, no matter what your opinion is!

DO NOT be so aggressive with your replies in the future, this is a friendly forum and PSM1 is a very helpful member, who I'm sure, had the best intentions at heart with his reply.

If his reply wasn't what you wanted then expand politely on why its not possible.

Thank you for your understanding.

MTech535

Your original post indicated the cable was only covered with turf.

Nice attitude too.

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Why is it not an option?
Is it possible to use the existing cable to pull a new one through?

jpmoriarty

Standard Member
My extreme apologies to all. My original post stated "running a new cable outside isn't an option": I didn't realise that I wasn't allowed to state this and would have to explain it in detail. Thanks for all your responses, my project has now been abandoned so the issue is no longer relevant.

Thanks again, and my apologies.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom