Two spare Sky+ boxes at home - can I still use them

Per156GTA

I have a pair of spare Sky+ boxes at home, and a spare dish with a quattro LNB. Can I attach the boxes to the LNB, and then set up the boxes in 2 bedrooms? Do I still need a sky viewing card? Presumably all I would receive would be the free to air channels across the sky dish? If I don't need cards for each box (preferred solution!), will I still have pause, rewind, record facility on each box? If I do need cards for each box, can I get them subscription free????

Thanks

Per

StevieBuck

Connecting them up to the dish without a viewing card will give you access to 'Free To Air' channels. You can buy a 'Freesat from Sky' card from Sky for £25 and this will let you watch some additional 'Free To View' channels.

You will need an active subscription on each box if you want to use the Sky+ functions on them. The Freesat from sky card won't activate this functionality.

MartinPickering

I have a pair of spare Sky+ boxes at home, and a spare dish with a quattro LNB. Can I attach the boxes to the LNB, and then set up the boxes in 2 bedrooms?

No, you would need a quad-output LNB. A QUATTRO can be used only with a multiswitch.

If the Digiboxes have been out of use for some time, they probably won't have the latest firmware so you'll have to force a download, otherwise they won't work properly.

fernandez

Distinguished Member
The + features *may* be able to be activated on an expired or FSFS card - depends who you speak to at Sky CS -but that costs £10/month.
Makes better financial sense , if you want the + facilities, to get Multiroom - also £10/month per box - and have the same channels as your main card.
Remember though that with Multiroom all boxes must be connected at all times to the same phone line

logiciel

fernandez

Distinguished Member
Or £20 according to an e-mail a poster just had from Sky.:D

I already have Sky digital satellite equipment - what else do I need?

All you need to gain access to the free channels available on the digital satellite platform is a Freesat from Sky viewing card, which costs just £25.

I think that £20 is the charge for a replacement FSFS card

logiciel

I know - that's the link I always use too.

fernandez

Distinguished Member
Click https://mysky.sky.com/replacecard/get-a-card
Then click "Don't have a viewing card?"
Fill in the form with your UK address.

I paid £20 for my card last September. Of course it may have increased in price now.

Typical of Sky:rolleyes:

Using MartinPickering's suggestion the charge is indeed £20 even if you don't already have/never had a card
BUT
the Freesat from Sky site says it's £25 for a new (first time) card.

Classic case of the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing:confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom