Two Sony BDP-S570 players unable to bitstream HD audio

Diet

Standard Member
I'm on my second one of these now from Amazon, and both exhibit the exact same problem, specifically that they cannot bitstream HD audio. I'd welcome some assistance on this, if anyone can offer advice?

I opened the box of the brand-new, replacement S570 this evening, and plugged it into my AVR (STR-DA2400ES) via HDMI. I loaded the Iron Man 2 Blu-Ray and then went into the settings and changed BD Audio Mix to off. I changed nothing else. I then played the Blu-Ray. Every bit of audio - which is in order the studio intro video, the menu, and then the movie - displayed as Linear PCM 48 on my AVR.

Next, I updated the wireless settings to pick up my network and then did an update of the software. I then tried again. Still Linear PCM on all videos.

Finally, I took a friend's PS3 slim, plugged in the exact same HDMI cable that the BDP-S570 had been attached to (not touching the AVR in any way) and then moved the same Iron Man 2 Blu-Ray from the S570 to the PS3. I turned on HDMI audio and video and set up bitstreaming in the PS3 settings, then pressed play. I now had the blue light on my AVR and Dolby Digital surround on the studio intro video, I had Dolby Digital on the menu, and I had the blue light again and DTS-HD on the movie itself.

Can anyone please tell me what could be wrong? Have I really received two duff players from Amazon? Is it worth trying a third? Have I completely missed some obvious setting somewhere? Should I throw in the towel and just buy a PS3??

Advice very much welcome. Not having a lot of luck with my first ever blu-ray player!!

skk3

I'm on my second one of these now from Amazon, and both exhibit the exact same problem, specifically that they cannot bitstream HD audio. I'd welcome some assistance on this, if anyone can offer advice?

I opened the box of the brand-new, replacement S570 this evening, and plugged it into my AVR (STR-DA2400ES) via HDMI. I loaded the Iron Man 2 Blu-Ray and then went into the settings and changed BD Audio Mix to off. I changed nothing else. I then played the Blu-Ray. Every bit of audio - which is in order the studio intro video, the menu, and then the movie - displayed as Linear PCM 48 on my AVR.

Next, I updated the wireless settings to pick up my network and then did an update of the software. I then tried again. Still Linear PCM on all videos.

Finally, I took a friend's PS3 slim, plugged in the exact same HDMI cable that the BDP-S570 had been attached to (not touching the AVR in any way) and then moved the same Iron Man 2 Blu-Ray from the S570 to the PS3. I turned on HDMI audio and video and set up bitstreaming in the PS3 settings, then pressed play. I now had the blue light on my AVR and Dolby Digital surround on the studio intro video, I had Dolby Digital on the menu, and I had the blue light again and DTS-HD on the movie itself.

Can anyone please tell me what could be wrong? Have I really received two duff players from Amazon? Is it worth trying a third? Have I completely missed some obvious setting somewhere? Should I throw in the towel and just buy a PS3??

Advice very much welcome. Not having a lot of luck with my first ever blu-ray player!!
Check all the audio settings because there are others.

Diet

Standard Member
Check all the audio settings because there are others.
I'm really not sure there are any others that are relevant to this specific problem. I have done a lot of experimenting previously.

Mshulla

I'm really not sure there are any others that are relevant to this specific problem. I have done a lot of experimenting previously.
Make sure HDMI Audio is set to Auto, looks like you have it set to PCM.

Diet

Standard Member
The default is auto. I had it on auto.

I've now given up with the player, and have asked Amazon for a refund, which I shall put towards a PS3 instead, which at least I know will be able to do what I want, even if it is more expensive :)

pedmatga

Standard Member
Hi, I bought last week a bdp-s570 and I am having exactly the same problem, did you solve this problem?

Diet

Standard Member
Hi, I bought last week a bdp-s570 and I am having exactly the same problem, did you solve this problem?
No. I sent both back to Amazon for a refund, and bought a PS3 instead, which bitstreams the HD-Audio perfectly.

Sorry.

mentm

I too had the same problem initially changed some other settings and it now works think I had to set audio drc to standard

pedmatga

Standard Member
Thanks for your help, I turn off the Audio Mix and audio drc settings, updated a new firmware (recently emitted by Sony, 12.06.2010) and now the BP bitstream and my AV detects HD signals…….I was ready to return the BP and ready to buy a PS3, but without enough lucky that didn't happen ja

Last edited:

Trending threads

Top Bottom