Two sky channels in everyroom

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Buckler, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Buckler

Buckler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have sky + and sky in two rooms. If I send both signals up into the loft using the rf2 out on both boxes. Is it possible to work it in a way to watch different sky boxes in different rooms and change channels? I am intending to send the sky + signal back down to the old sky box using the aerial connection?

2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Welcome to the forums.

Here's the first thing which springs to mind: ignore the rf2 out on one of the boxes, use the rf1 instead and use a remote sender to pass the IR commands wirelessly to it. You can have IR senders in as many rooms as you like.

Sound like a plan ?

Mike.

3. Andrew K

Andrew K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    making the RF2 output channel number different for each box should do it. It is in the setup where you turn the RF2 output on you can select the channel output number.

4. derbyjj

derbyjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    its easy to do I have my multiroom sky and sky + avail on each tv in the house and can control each sky box via magic eyes.
    This is how I did it ignoring the minidish connections as they are working already and the scart connected tv at each sky box as they have stereo etc.

This is what you need
    A sky plus combiner so that you can control both sky boxes via the magic eyes at each tv.
    A distribution amp in the loft but it must have digi-eye pass thru
    Magic eyes at each tv you wish to watch and control sky or sky +.
    Extra sky/Sky+ remotes if needed

How to connect
    Terrestial aerial direct to rf in of either one of your sky or sky+ box but not both.
    rfout2 of sky box to input 1 of sky plus combiner.
    rfout2 of sky+ box to input 2 of sky plus combiner.
    output of sky plus combiner to input of dist amplifer.
    you now have normal tele plus 2 sky channels avail to any tv you connect via coax to the dist amp.
    place a magic eye at each tv you wish to control sky from.
    NOTE sky channels via coax will not be in Stereo though normal tele will be in NICAM.

Nice to haves
    extra coax runs.
    ideally one of your sky boxes needs 3 rf coaxs in addition to its minidish coaxs. This is needed as :-
    coax1 delivers the terrestial normal tele to rfin of the sky box.
    coax2 connects rfout2 to the sky plus combiner and dist amp to send the sky channel of that box and receive the remote control commands from the magic eyes. coax3 is from the dist amp and gives normal tele and the extra sky channels to the aerial in of the tv next to that sky box and also allows you to connect a magic eye to control the other sky box.
    If this is at the sky + box it allows you to watch the other sky box or normal tele.eg you are recording 2 sky channels on sky plus and want to watch something else now you can view the other sky box or normal bbc/ itv c4/5.

where i got what you need
    sky plus combiner Got mine from CPC near preston £27 works a treat(its needed because the sky boxes dont passthru the ir commands from the magic eyes.
    Distribution amplifier SLX do one. I got the 8way (£35) but 2,4+6 way are available at B&Q and Maplin.
    magic eyes are currently available on amazon at £4 each. but can be bought seperately at maplin but more expensive.
    Extra remotes (again B&Q or maplin I actually got an 8 way TEVION remote at aldi(£4.99!!) which works a treat and does tv,cd,vcr,dvd sky and on-digital!)

hope this helps any issues just holler.

OOPS you need to avoid TABOO channels when you set up the rfout channels. lookup kat5 tv on google or try taboo tv.

will post more later this weekend

5. shreddieeddie

shreddieeddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just a note on this, sounds like I have a very similar setup.

Sky+ downstairs with rfin (aerial), rf2 out to loft
    Sky in loft (2nd box this is)
    Both rf2's going into 'Sky Combiner' and then into SLX, SLX to upstairs rooms.

The problem I have is that if I have one sky box on its fine, the other one on its fine, if I have both on then the signals gets interrupted - so stopping me from watching both in different rooms or if I am watching sky+ downstairs then I cant watch the other skybox upstairs.

Can this be done? I have both boxes set to different RF signals.

6. shreddieeddie

shreddieeddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sorted this, when trying to change the RF freq it wasnt saving on the Sky box before it lost communication, altered it on the Sky+ box and this now works fine.

7. freddyuk

freddyuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Correct me if i am wrong but i don't think the SLX8 has digi pass thru so wont send signals to the magic eyes. I have one and i doesn't work.
    I need to send sky+ to 4 tvs with magic eye so i assume i need a different distribution box?

8. derbyjj

derbyjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Your correct the SLX8 does not have the pass through you need an SLXnB which has the by pass

9. Stretchefc1977

Stretchefc1977
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    In regards to the above post, I have an almost exact setup but have not yet got as far as the terrestrial aerial. If I follow the above setup and feed my terrestrial aerial direct into the rf imput at the back of the sky box and then pick it up again on the RF output this should be able to be received in all the rooms it links with from the amplifier in the loft, but will the built-in freeview work from this signal on the tv's after being put through both the sky box and amplifier??

10. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,703
    Whatever you put in should come out again so the answer is yes.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  11. Doctor_AB

Doctor_AB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Does the terrestrial signal have to go to first sky+ box, can it not go directly into distribution amp?

12. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,041
    Distribution amps don't have two inputs. To do it this way you have to use some sort of combiner.

13. Doctor_AB

Doctor_AB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Ok in that case I would need to extend my aerial cable by joining another length it in the loft. Would this lead to significant losses and signal degradation?

14. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,703
    If you want Freeview where the Sky receiver is put the aerial into that first; if not put it into a combiner.

15. Doctor_AB

Doctor_AB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    At present my aerial cable goes to the loft where it attaches to an ancient distribution set up which is powered but can only supply 2 outputs without losing signal. My 2 sky+ boxes are supplied with their own sat cables obviously. One room has the cables running outside the house to the room whilst the other has the cables running via the loft with 1 running via a diplexer. I will try and post up a diagram. My finally aim is to achieve what the original poster described, with obviously free view also at all locations.

16. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,041
    Not if you join it properly to any significant degree. Use a pair of f connectors and a f to f barrel connector.