two sky boxes query

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by pacemaker, Sep 22, 2003.

1. pacemaker

pacemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    can anyone answer this
    i have one standard sky package
    if i buy another sky box (prob secondhand) for my cinema room, will i be able to watch freeview ?
    then can i swap cards from standard sky setup to cinema room to watch the occasional film on my projector?

2. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,254
    You can't swap card,your card will only work in the one box.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Freeview is the marketing name for a group of channels on DTT, Free To View (FTV) is the name used to describe the channels on SKY D that needed a smartcard to decrypt but without a subscription.
    So, you will not get Freeview from digital satellite and to get ITV1, Ch4 and Five via SKY digital you will need a smartcard which are not issued anymore unless you subscribe to a premium channel or take a SKY subscription. All the BBC channels are now Free To Air (FTA) on digital satellite and need no smartcard.

To run two digiboxes from a single dish you will also need at least a twin LNB and extra cable, a single LNB can not supply two independent digiboxes.

If you get all the hardware setup then your existing smartcard will not allow you to view SKY's premium channels on another digibox without authorising that card for that digibox. You will be able to access the non-premium channels though, for some reason SKY do not block those channels.

4. pacemaker

pacemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    thanks for that info
    god i hate sky!
    too expensive and tooooo many bloody adverts! when there shouldnt be any cos you pay for the service!
    if it ever gets hacked then they deserve to loose money
    and dont get me started on their channel packages, about 100 and all crap except the dear ones
    arghhhhhhhhhh

5. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    This was going to be my next question. I have the chance of buying a Panny TU-DSB30 for £20 (see thread below). Obviously I want to make sure it's better than my original Pace Digibox. Ideally I would want to alternate between the two boxes to evaluate which is best. But you're saying that I cannot activate my viewing card for both boxes simultaneously ?? Thats crazy, but then again thats SKY.

Cheers