Two RGB Scart Displays from 1 Scart output

stevos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I couldn't find anything on the forum about this, but this type of topic is hard to search for.

Anyway, i have a normal tele and a projector. I want to be able to plug them both into my sky+'s single rgb output.

Does anyone make such a cable?

Cheers
Steve.

You can use an RGB capable SCART switch.
The BTech one I got from Argos works fine on RGB for me.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

This is what you need.

Cheers for the help, i think i will give the cheaper option ago first and if not then consider the more expensive one.

stevos said:
Cheers for the help, i think i will give the cheaper option ago first and if not then consider the more expensive one.
That would be an expensive mistake.

You don't need a scart switcher - they are for connecting multiple inputs to one output and switching between them. You need something for connecting a single input to multiple outputs - a different kind of beast altogether. A scart switcher will not do this. Please take another look at the link I posted. It's a top-notch piece of kit from a great British company.

Actually it isn't obvious (to me) from the 1st post whether or not both displays are required to display the Skybox output simultaneously or not.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

Regardless of whether simultaneous output is required or not, a scart switcher is meant for putting multiple inputs into a single output, whereas the original poster wants one input going to multiple outputs, i.e the sort of product I linked to.

A lot of cheap scart switchers only work in one direction.

Quoting the JS Technology website:

"The Active Video Buffer V2 is the solution to connecting two video units from one source. Each video output is a perfect copy of the input. Since all video lines in the SCART connection are buffered, the unit can be used with RGB, S-Video and Composite SCART sources. The Active Video Buffer can be used with other J.S. Technology products as well as other manufacturers.

Superior to SCART splitters which merely share the signal between your destinations and subsequently reduce the picture brightness and quality. The Active Video Buffer V2 regenerates the input video, restoring correct levels for distribution to your two displays. This maintains the brightness of the picture, but also helps to isolate both displays. The load on one will not affect the other.

Widescreen switching is important, and so is function switching to assert that RGB is enabled. The Active Video Buffer V2 supports both, each output has it's own independent output.

Applications for the Active Video Buffer V2 are endless. As an example, if you have a projector and TV, use the Active Video Buffer to keep both connected and reduce those hook-up nightmares! Where you require two video outputs and wish to maintain picture quality, the Active Video Buffer V2 is the solution.

For flexibility with your cabling requirements, the Active Video Buffer V2 has three SCART sockets. One SCART socket is provided for the input with two SCART sockets for the outputs. This allows for the use of our high quality SCART leads or the flexibility to choose leads that meet your individual requirements.

Measuring just 120x98x45 mm with an external power supply, the Active Video Buffer V2 is compact and easy to use.

Utilising the same high-quality multi-layer fibreglass PCB construction as other J.S. Technology products, and with components from some of the world's leading manufacturers, this level of quality and detail is not often found at any level. Designed and manufactured by J.S. Technology in the UK.
"

Only if it was bi-directional.

That’s not necessarily the case. As I have already mentioned, a lot of cheap scart switchers won’t be bi-directional and the reason for this is that the manufacturer has saved money by not fully wiring it up. Other examples of this money-saving are the plethora of switching boxes that are not even RGB compatible.

The point I am trying to make is that a cheap scart-switching box, which has been wired up to perform the minimum function of scart-switching, may well not have all pins connected.

In the case of RGB, not having both pins 19 & 20 wired up (composite video output and input respectively) would prevent a switcher from doing the job required by the original poster - the composite provides the synchronisation signal for the RGB. The audio would face the same issue if both output pins (1 & 3) and both input pins (2 & 6) were not wired up.

GreenBars said:
In the case of RGB, not having both pins 19 & 20 wired up (composite video output and input respectively) would prevent a switcher from doing the job required by the original poster - the composite provides the synchronisation signal for the RGB. The audio would face the same issue if both output pins (1 & 3) and both input pins (2 & 6) were not wired up.
then it wouldnt be scart switcher...
I know what you mean about cheap boxes, just like companies not making fullywired scart cables

I only need to use one display at a time.

There are a couple of cheap (less than £10) rgb switches on ebay that state they work in reverse. I think they will be my first attempt. The keane one is kind of expensive, when i am just being lazy.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom