Two Rel Storms-Can't get them to sing

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Phil Hinton, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,581
    Ok,

I know when to admit defeat. I very recently got a second Rel Storm to add to my system.

I am using Boston THX Ultra 555x Speakers accross the front.

The first problem is the Storm i recently added is a first generation with the old xlr connection, and it is a little slow and not as tight as my Storm, which although a mrk1 was originally intended for the US market and has line in phonos, and is much tighter in performance.
    My major problem is getting them to work well together, without being boomy. This is proving very difficult. I have them postitioned either side of the Centre, and between the main channels. I have experimented with one on a side wall, but I didn't like this approach.

So I am looking for tips to try, and i have a bit of a headache!

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use two different REL subs (Stentor 2, Stadium 3) and have found this to work.

I placed the subs in opposite front corners with the centre of the drive units 52cm from the corner, front and side walls (this distance is important as it ensures that the reflections of notes up to 80hz are in phase with the direct sound).

I then switched the Stentor to operate out of phase with the rest of the system.

Bingo! Tight forceful bass that shakes the room without a hint of boom.

I hope this helps

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use two Strata III in the front corners, as well, about 30 cms from each wall, but my crossover is 50 hz, I didn´t have to change phase or whatever...