Answered Two receiver marantz pairing

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Meli, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Meli

Meli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    hello i have the marantz sr7008 receiver and the marantz sr7009 receiver. I can pair from pre-out sr7009 to pre-out sr7008. I tried one channel this way and I think it works. Or there is another way to pair. Sr7009 i want as the main receiver and sr7008 i want an amplifier that will power 4 speakers. on switchable 13.1 to 11.1

2. Best Answer:
    Post #14 by Rambles, Mar 30, 2018 (1 points)
  3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,654
    What you suggest has no practical purpose. Neither receiver would process all 13 or 11 channels relative to one another. You need a processor that can handle 13 or 11 channels of processing outputting all the channels to external amplification or a 13 channel integrated AV receiver such as the DEnon AVCX8500. Your 2 integrated AV receivers have no idea what the other receiver is doing or that they are part of such a setup.

You cannot just lump multiple lesser channel receiver together to get a setup that then gives you more channels than either receiver on its own can facilitate for.

No, there's no means by which to make your 2 AV receivers act as though they are one integrated unit.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  4. Meli

Meli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ale sr7009 zpracovává 11,2 a lze připojit 13 reproduktorů, ale bez zesilovače pouze 9.2. Chci, aby sr7008 sloužil jako zesilovač pouze pro 4 reproduktory. A v 11.2 můžu přepínat mezi 13.2 reproduktory

5. Meli

Meli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I can connect the pre-out of one receiver to the pre-out of the other receiver ?

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,654
    No. Pre outs are outputs.

7. Meli

Meli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    but i tried it and it worked :) How do I connect. Pre-out for 7.1ch in?

8. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,654
    Why are you wanting to connect one receiver's pre outs to the other receiver's multi channel analogue inputs? If you were to connect the pre outs to the other receiver then you'd connect them to the multi channel analogue inputs on the other receiver and not connect them to the other receiver's pre outs. If you connect pre outs to pre outs then you'll cause damage to both receivers.

9. Meli

Meli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I do not understand. These are multichannel inputs ?

10. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +654
    I think he wants to use two amp channels on the 7008 as a dedicated power amp for the height 2 channels (or whatever) on the 7009.

From a connections perspective, then it seems obvious how to do this, but I have absolutely no idea of it is possible to sensibly setup a 7008 to usefully act in this manner. If the second AVR was a Yamaha AVR that works like the one I have, then it can (I believe) be coerced into acting as a fixed gain dedicated stereo power amp as follows (after disconnecting everything else including network connections except the other AVR and turning the volume down on everything):

- Set initial volume to 0dB in setup (ie the volume that is set when the unit powers on)
    - Set the max volume also to 0dB. (Now the volume cannot be changed).
    - Save a scene that has the require analog audio input selected and pure direct mode engaged and use this scene to switch it on.

Be warned - any audio source you connect to it when setup in this manner absolutely MUST have its own volume control otherwise damage to equipment and/or ears may result as the volume control on the AVR will no longer function and it will be preset very loud - hence why network connections should be disconnected, WiFi and BT disabled ie to prevent any possible means of playing an alternate sound source. If you cannot do this, then I would suggest this kind of setup is not safe and should not be done at all - just get a stereo power amp of suitable power output.

Like I said, I have no idea of a Marantz AVRs can be setup in this manner, but I thought maybe indicating how it could be done on one make may give you a hint as to what to look for in the Marantz AVR manual and/or settings.

11. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,966
    It is possible to use a second AVR as a power amp to the first AVR. I have done it previously, but gave up pretty quickly as too much faff. The problem in my case, was that I could not set the second AVR to power on at 0 volume.

But as the OP says, you would use the pre-outs of AVR 1 (acting as the processor) into the multi channel inputs of AVR 2. Ideally, you would want AVR 2 to power on at 0 volume, to the correct input where AVR 1 is connected, and with all processing switched off (so in pure direct mode).

Then run the auto set-up on AVR 1, and only use that AVR to control volume.

If both AVR's have trigger functions, and the second AVR can be configured correctly, then it should work okay, in theory.

12. Meli

Meli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thank you .my English is not good. So you write avr1 connect to pre-out. And 2avr for 7.1ch in and connect pure direct. Correctly ?

13. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,966
    Yes. Then balance the volume between the two AVRs. I suggest setting AVR2 on 0 volume, and then just using the volume control on AVR1.

14. Meli

Meli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    so it does not work very well. I can not set the volume of avr2 to 0. The volume must be 80. I think I buy an amplifier. The receiver is not a good amplifier

15. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,966
    Best Answer
    You can change the scale of the volume in the settings.

A dedicated power amplifier will be easier to set up and live with.

16. Meli

Meli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    the receiver can not be set to zero. There is only scale, limit, power on level, mute level.

17. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,654
    Go into the AUDIO -> VOLUME setting and set the scale to the –79.5dB – 18.0dB option. Now set the LIMIT setting to 0db and the POWER ON LEVEL setting to 0db.

18. Meli

Meli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    yes it works. Thanks and I can set the remote control to control only the avr1 volume

19. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,654
    That may prove more difficult to achieve. I can only suggest finding the IR sensor on the front of the Sr7008 receiver and placing a square of insulation or some other form of opaque tape over the sensor to prevent the receiver getting IR commands from the remote.

The sensor is located to the bottom lefthand side of the volume dial.