1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two R2 Terminator 2 Versions, Question

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Garrett, Nov 8, 2001.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,462
    Oh no an other Terminator 2 question.

Today I was looking at the two T2 packages, one was in a tin box it stated it was 2.35:1, the other was without the tin box, but this was 1.85:1. Question is the 2.35:1 and the 1.85:1 the same in every respect, including the extras, except the top and bottom cropped on the 2.35:1(I seem to remember in a past discussion it was filmed in 1.85:1 and cropped to 2.35:1 for the cinema).

If so are there two R1 versions out, and are they exactly the same except for this crop?

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Garrett,

You asked: "Question: Is the 2.35:1 and the 1.85:1 the same in every respect, including the extras, except the top and bottom cropped on the 2.35:1(I seem to remember in a past discussion it was filmed in 1.85:1 and cropped to 2.35:1 for the cinema)."

I don't know how this confusion has arisen, but it is probably down to misinformation on a website. However, this is what you need to know.

The Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition (with the Tin Sleeve), availalbe ages ago on Region 1, is in a non-anamorphic 2.35:1 ratio. The Tin Sleeve was supposed to be a Limited Edition, and then, all future copies would be identical, but would not have the Tin Sleeve. That was the idea, at least. However, it does appear that the Tin Edition is still available from some online DVD retailers.

The Region 2 equivalent, released about 2 weeks ago, should also be in 2.35:1, though I don't know if it is or isn't a 16:9 anamorphic presentation. The difference though, is that the R2 version only contains two versions of the movie, and not the three editions available on the R1 edition. The Tin Case is, again, supposed to be a Limited Edition thing, but whether that will be the case, I don't know.

When T2 was originally released on Region 1 DVD, from Artisan (if my memory serves), it was released as 1.85:1, just like the original "Terminator" movie. The problem however, is down to how director James Cameron films his movies.

He uses a film format known as Super 35. Now, to cut a long story short, Super 35 is the best way to film a movie, and this is why:

1) When frame is cropped to 4:3, for TV or home/rental video, you get more picture at the top and bottom, but less at the sides, and yet the picture still retains 99 per cent of all the action on-screen!

2) When the frame is cropped to 1.85:1, you get slightly more picture on the sides, but a slightly reduced top and bottom. Again, you should still see 99 per cent of all the action.

3) When the frame is cropped to 2.35:1, you get a lot more side action, but less at the top and bottom. This format, is the version shown at cinemas, on Laserdisc, and on the DVD "Ultimate Edition" versions.

Essentially, no matter what format the film is shown in, you should always see all of the action, and not feel like the picture has been cropped. This is why Cameron's "Special Editon" cut of "Terminator 2" looked superb when BBC1 aired it a couple of years ago, on TV, even though the UK Home Video Version was in 2.35:1.

Thus, I don't know why there should be two Region 2 versions, with different screen-formats, but you should plump for the 2.35:1 version, just to be on the safe-side. However, the extras SHOULD be identical, but check carefully!

Apologies for the long-windedness, but I hope that helps clarify things for you!

Pooch

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,067
    On the R1 Ultimate Edition all three versions of the film ARE anamorphic.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,462
    Thanks for the information.

Can you tell me what aspect ratio is Super 35?

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

In answer to your query, Super 35, is technically 2.35:1.

However, like I mentioned in my previous post above, it is great for allowing films to be captured so that regardless of the actual transmission format (e.g 2.35:1 or 1.85:1 or 4:3), you should still be able to see everything the director intended.

Pooch