1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two questions about Loewe TVs

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by NicolasB, Aug 12, 2003.

1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    1) Is there any way of getting Loewe TVs to accept a progressive scan input without using a PC to generate the signal? Is it feasible, for example, to attach a component-to-VGA converter to the output of a prog scan DVD player and feed that into the Loewe's VGA card input? Or could one use the output from some sort of external scaler or deinterlacer device?

2) Assuming that all I care about is getting the best possible picture quality and that I am totally uninterested by what the rest of the set looks like, or by its audio capabilities, what is the best (i.e. cheapest) model to buy?

2. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic,

Ideally you could do with an answer from Groundy.

[Please read forum rules about promoting competing sites]

He seems to spend most of his time there these days.

SMP

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

It is possible to do as you say Nic. Transcoders suitable for such applications include the Key Digital range:

KD-CTCA2

http://www.keydigital.com/detail.asp?Product_ID=KD-CTCA2

KD-XB

http://www.keydigital.com/detail.asp?Product_ID=KD-XB

The KD-CTCA2 is more flexible in that you can change sync settings (via dip switches) and has two VGA outputs. It also has positional image output control.

They will both transcode 576P/480P to RGBHV (Loewe's input format via VGA socket) from component.

You could also use other external scalers such as iScan etc.

However, none of the above options are particularly feasible in overcoming the Loewe's limited aspect ratio control problems when in VGA mode, i.e., you cannot simply select 16:9 Picture Mode etc. Also, the various sync setting supported by the Loewe's VGA card is again limited.

The only real solution seems to be using HTPC and applications such as Powerstrip to overcome all of the above problems. There is a great thread here covering the required settings etc.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79761

Maybe there are some external scalers out there that can be programmed with the same range settings as Powerstrip but I can't answer that one I'm afraid :(.

Assuming at the very least you want a Flat Screen model, then do a price check on the Aventos & Mimo models. I think the Aventos is the cheaper of the two due to the finish but they have identical Chassis.

The Articos does offer a very slight boost in picture quality over all other Loewe models as it is supplied with a nice anti-reflective type screen.....but it's also the most expensive ;).

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Yeah, I was wondering about the aspect ratio issue. Hmph. Presumably an HTPC is capable of displaying a 4:3 PAL-resolution video stream as 768 by 576 in the middle of a 1024x576 screen with black bars to left and right, and this looks okay? Or not?

Anyway: anti-reflective screen aside, the picture you get from mimo or aventos models is actually identical to what you get from articos or aconda or any of the other more expensive models? Cool.

Damn shame about the progressive scan. You'd have thought that if the set is really capable of displaying 1024x576 that it would be worth Loewe's while to add an input board that can accept a prog scan signal via component and doesn't mess up the aspect ratio in the process. :mad:

5. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Assuming they are all now using tubes from the same manufacturer, i.e., Philips then the resultant picture will be identical regardles of model. The only difference with the higher end models is in external finish, Chassis (Q2500/H as opposed to Q2500/B/M) and sound output. With the Aventos/Mimo/Vitros, you lose some of the picture processing modes which if you're sensible, you will never use anyway :) (things like DMM & extended PAP options)

Wouldn't you just! Maybe they will........some day :rolleyes:.

6. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    This scaler here might be worth testing:
    http://www.viewsonic.com/products/video_box_vb50hrtv.htm

It is an OEM version of the ProV+ and is about the only cheap scaler i have seen which outputs a 16:9 aspect ratio (852x480) rather then the VGA ratios of the ProV+. I am sure the Loewe card accepts 852x480@60Hz, so if the sync rates are compatable then it could work.

7. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

Are you sure about that?

I saw all the different models in Harrods the other day and while all the pictures looked fantastic, the Articos picture gobsmackingly incredible - the best CRT picture I've ever seen.