Two projectors

DLPMaybe

Has anyone gone down the route of having two projectors in the same room?

I game and watch movies/tv. I’m struggling to find a single projector that ticks all the boxes.

My projector is in the adjoining utility room with a hole in the wall. I’m thinking I may get everything I want my making the cabinet a double decker, two hole and picking two projectors that do the best for each case.

Is this a daft idea? For context these are the sort of projectors I’m looking at:

For games I want 4k, 120htz, low lag, long bulb life most likely laser. Candidate at the moment is the upcoming ls12000.

For movies I want basically the best picture I can get at my price point. I’m thinking a dila around the 4-6k mark.

P.s. I think I deserve some credit for not using any sexual puns in this post.

I game and watch movies/tv. I’m struggling to find a single projector that ticks all the boxes.

My projector is in the adjoining utility room with a hole in the wall. I’m thinking I may get everything I want my making the cabinet a double decker, two hole and picking two projectors that do the best for each case.

Is this a daft idea? For context these are the sort of projectors I’m looking at:

For games I want 4k, 120htz, low lag, long bulb life most likely laser. Candidate at the moment is the upcoming ls12000.

For movies I want basically the best picture I can get at my price point. I’m thinking a dila around the 4-6k mark.

Why not just get the JVC NZ7 and one fits all, 6K + a LS12000 don't seem to be a cheaper or better solution at anything.

DLPMaybe

I’ll take a look. This managed to escape my radar of projectors to look at. I had in my mind that Sony/jvc laser was at about the 25k mark. The input lag looks high but otherwise ticks most boxes.

markmon

I always run 2 projectors. Originally, I wanted to run a laser projector (RS4500) but didn't want to put too many hours on it doing things like browsing the web and listening to music. Now I run an 885ES and an NZ9 because the 885ES with reality creation is better for games. If the projectors have basically matching EDID, you can use a normal 4K HDMI Splitter with little fuss. If not, you need something like an HDFury to do EDID / mode translations.

hati

I ran a "budget" two projector setup. I bought Sony HW55 for movies and I had a TV for games. To get the small room more usable I wanted to get both on same wall but there wasn't feasible way to move TV away from front of screen and pull down screen in front of TV wasn't an option so I bought Optoma GT1080 as gaming projector. Sony would probably have done othervise but it had manual lens movement and for me what is immersive for movies is way too big for gaming so it would have required manula adjustment every time I change from movies to gaming and vice versa.

Two projectors was an easy solution, I had planned for projector + TV setup when I bought the receiver so I had one with two HDMI outs. The added bonus was that I could use same speakers for movies and games and usability was easy, just choose source from receiver and turn right projector on. It worked well but because I want to game with lights on I have separate rooms for gaming and movies now. (I had a piece of cardboard next to lamp so wall with screen was in shadow and PQ was good enough for gaming for me.)

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

I had two for a short while. 9300 and X7900 and 9300 and N5. and N5 and X7900. It was okay. You just end up using the better projector due to all the faff.

Even with the X and the N, despite the X IMO having a better contrast with less light bleed, the N was just a better PQ overall.. cleaner, sharper, less faff slightly.. so ended up just using that.

The extra cost you have in buying and maintaining the second projector, you might as well just find a good deal on bulbs and buy 2-3 of them as DILA projectors don't really degrade overtime. OR If you're paying £4-6k for a DILA PJ, and £4-5k for a LS12000, just buy an NZ7.

Its hard to go back to a subpar PQ in the same room when you have something a bit more superior.

The input lag on the newest DILA PJs (from X5500+) is really good anyway. 120hz is a... well not widely used unless you're a PC gamer and even then, 60 is fine on a gigantic screen for now IMO.

Also each PJ has its pros and cons. Its actually annoying to see the cons of each in the same room knowing the other doesn't exhibit them. Doesnt give you enough space to just get used to what you have.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom