American Eagle Owl

Barn Owl

Kite

Click for large, and thanks for looking :smashin:

Last edited:

Holowlegs

Hello there

That Barn Owl shot superb mate, lovely capture.:thumbsup:

Can't see the larger version as you haven't allowed permission.

Cheers Holo:smashin::smashin:

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
I think both the owls are first rate and the kite ain't too bad either, but I would clone out that white hair from the top of his beak :smashin:

johnaalex

Distinguished Member

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
Well apparently he was getting on a bit, and as we know nasal hairs are a pain in the ass part of growing old :rotfl:

The image of a nasal hair being a pain in the ass is one I could have done without. :eek::devil::rotfl:

JSW

Great captures :thumbsup:

How do you manage to retain such sharpness when you reduce image size ?

Every time I save mine they get softer for some reason ?

I have gone back to using LR and its giving me better results now and sharper but each software I have tried is such a different result :confused:

denno75uk

Paulie, the barn owl shot is amazing. The balance in the exposure has been managed brilliantly and the blacked bakground sets it off perfectly. Nice work.

Paulie-W

Great captures :thumbsup:

How do you manage to retain such sharpness when you reduce image size ?

Every time I save mine they get softer for some reason ?

I have gone back to using LR and its giving me better results now and sharper but each software I have tried is such a different result :confused:

Thanks mate :smashin:
As for saving them, I don't think I do anything special. Just 300dpi and save at #12 to jpeg. All default settings in CS3. Flickr's medium sized image is all I use.

Paulie, the barn owl shot is amazing. The balance in the exposure has been managed brilliantly and the blacked bakground sets it off perfectly. Nice work.

Thanks Denno, it just goes to show my PP skills are getting a bit better :D

not sure if that is +3 or +4 for the barn owl , stunning :thumbsup:

Thanks Paul :smashin:

JSW

Thanks mate :smashin:
As for saving them, I don't think I do anything special. Just 300dpi and save at #12 to jpeg. All default settings in CS3. Flickr's medium sized image is all I use.

LR saves mine at 240dpi should I change to 300dpi? I thought monitors only showed 72dpi so this is a bit confusing :confused:

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
LR saves mine at 240dpi should I change to 300dpi? I thought monitors only showed 72dpi so this is a bit confusing :confused:

I thought DPI only mattered when printing the file, not when viewing it?

Anyway I do the same as Paulie when converting to JPG (using either Capture NX or PSE 6) I always opt for the highest quality. I then upload the files to flickr which handles the resizing and I post the medium size file with an embedded link to the large version.

Holowlegs

Can't agree more, just got a chance to view this large and its one of them I wish I had taken:smashin:

Cheers Holo:smashin::smashin:

TarMoo

Some great shots there :smashin: Was this shot at WWT Arundel?

The Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR is very sharp. You got a D300 after I got one, then a 105 VR, now a 70-200 VR. Does you wife know about my new 24-70 f2.8?

Last edited:

Paulie-W

Some great shots there :smashin: Was this shot at WWT Arundel?

Thanks mate. They were taken in the castle grounds :D Just the local falconry mob.

The Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR is very sharp. You got a D300 after I got one, then a 105 VR, now a 70-200 VR. Does you wife know about my new 24-70 f2.8?

:rotfl: It's still a long way off at the moment, and even longer now you had your trio of varying copies. I do have a 12-24 too though :devil: And am actually thinking of getting rid of the 105.

senu

Distinguished Member
Paul
Those are excellent and razor sharp..:smashin:

senu

Distinguished Member
I thought DPI only mattered when printing the file, not when viewing it?
You would think so but while it may not matter for the sorts of hi res ( and hi definition ) files the like of D300 and all this quality glass produce, lesser images look poorere if you use too low a rdpi and then compress and reduce file size for uploading

Anyway I do the same as Paulie when converting to JPG (using either Capture NX or PSE 6) I always opt for the highest quality. I then upload the files to flickr which handles the resizing and I post the medium size file with an embedded link to the large version.
It seems to work.. pretty well:)
I used to use 150 ( not 300 dpi) from Canon DPP and then convert to jpeg at 6/10 for web uploading
I got there by trial and error but flickr pro does give you more leeway for larger files
These day though I simply ue LRs default 250 and let flickr do the rest
PSE7 is TBH similar enough to 6 but it handles RAW directly fairly well
If you get a yearng to try PM me I had both 6 and 7 on my PC forquit a while using whichever one caught my eye first

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021