Two more questions about the Canon 400D

Just call me Al

1. Why can't I use continuous shooting mode with 'Fully Automatic' (the green oblong).
2. I have the Sigma 28 - 300 lens with macro. The nearest I can get is about 6" away in the zoom mode. I thought Macro let you put the lens almost over the subject to get extreme close up. Am I doing something wrong. My faithfull Panasonic gets much closer.

Yandros

I can answer the second one - the Sigma 'macro' zooms aren't true macro, they're kind of 'macro-lite' ie they focus closer than normal zooms, but not as close as true dedicated macro lenses.

denno75uk

1. Why can't I use continuous shooting mode with 'Fully Automatic' (the green oblong).

Because 'Fully Auto' is just that. Try in P mode. It's basically the same as Auto anyway, just allows you to adjust things. You shouldn't notice any difference to Auto but it'll allow you to access the other options in the Drive, ISO, Focus functions.

Just call me Al

Because 'Fully Auto' is just that. Try in P mode. It's basically the same as Auto anyway, just allows you to adjust things. You shouldn't notice any difference to Auto but it'll allow you to access the other options in the Drive, ISO, Focus functions.

Yes that's what I've been doing but I asked my friend who has a Nikon & he thought all SLRs did Continuous in 'Auto'.

Thank you both for your help.

Yandros

Yes that's what I've been doing but I asked my friend who has a Nikon & he thought all SLRs did Continuous in 'Auto'.

Thank you both for your help.

Kinda odd that it doesn't do it, but since Auto mode is the work of the devil, and is the SLR equivalent of stabilisers on a bike, hardly a hanging matter.

denno75uk

Just checked the manual for my 30D and it says the function buttons like Drive, ISO, AF-WB, AE Lock and AF point selector are disabled during Auto to prevent accidental activation and adjustment.
Basically it's a big insult, saying anyone using AUTO is a bit dim and might knack things up unwittingly if we don't stop them.

Yandros

Surely that's because the camera controls everything in AUTO mode? If you want more flexibility, try the Program mode.

Agreed. I quite like the other name for AUTO - "waiter mode", ie the mode you select when you hand your camera to a novice and don't want them to screw anything up. I suppose I can see the benefit of a full auto mode that protects users from themselves, because my current habit is leaving my drive mode in Mirror Lockup, and wondering why the viewfinder has gone black as I try and take an action shot :oops: :oops:

Radiohead

Agreed. I quite like the other name for AUTO - "waiter mode", ie the mode you select when you hand your camera to a novice and don't want them to screw anything up. I suppose I can see the benefit of a full auto mode that protects users from themselves, because my current habit is leaving my drive mode in Mirror Lockup, and wondering why the viewfinder has gone black as I try and take an action shot :oops: :oops:

I always used to call it 'Joey mode'. People from the 70's will understand :D

senu

Distinguished Member
The Dial is there to be turned
Auto is just Point and shoot: Stop using it:)
It is implemented slightly differently on Nikons and Canons but essentially disabling functions in auto is to allow the camera do "its own thing"

As stated above , The more versatile P mode can be used like Auto but virtually every adjustable parameter can be changed. I had suggested in your earlier thread to try it in that it offers you the means to use different combinations of settings to see which works best

Choosing P in this instance means you want to change settings and Auto means you really don't .

As such disabling it in Auto means you don't take an image with ISO 1600 which you forgot the camera on yesterday:rotfl:
As suggested in that earlier thread, the Panasonic gives you instantly "attaractive results but the Canon ( and its lens system) will take you much further after the initial " getting to know you" learning curve.
A little perseverance will pay off in the end

Tobers

If it's like my 350D, turning it to "sport" mode (little icon of a running man) will give you automatic everything with continuous shooting switched on as well :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom