Two monitors but one pc output, for AE100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Timh, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I have a Panasonic AE100 projector which I use for tv playback from my pc. I have to keep swapping the leads about from monitor to projector and its doing my head in.
    Today I bought a switch box for switching from monitor to projector, the problem was I got bad ghosting when using the switch box, i was using good quality screened cables, so the switch box went back, it just wasn't good enough.
    Can anyone recommend a good switch box with good shielding.
    Are Y leads any good?

What are you using for two monitors?

A radeon graphics card is another alternative with duel monitor out, but I am quite happy with my Nvidia gforce2 for now.

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Not much help but we have had some problems locating adequate switchboxes for our two machine workstations (one PC one SGI into one monitor). Similar to your problem but in reverse if you like.

main problems were noise / signal attenuation still not found a box that suitable.

I just hook my HTPC up to my monitor as needed but its not such an issue for me as I've another PC so the HTPC will just live near the projection in the future.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where's my post gone?

Tim,
    You have a PM.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry,

This must have been moved from HTPC section, or else I'm very, very drunk :D

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Kramer, are you very, very hung over?

Tim there's athread on HCPC's about y splitters. It seems to be that yo can do this, but if you try to run both at the same time there may be some picture degradation, especially if you've got a long cable run to your pan. Convenient though, as long as you remember to turn off the monitor, I always just leave mine on standby!

6. MrCoopz

MrCoopz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    yeah i have the same problem. I have a switch box but the picture is perfect on my monitor but when i switch to the PJ its cack.

i might just buy a decent expensive switch box

7. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As said before, a better bet would be to get one of the latest gen. graphics cards, any that has "Dual RAMDACS" (GeF4,Rad8000+..). This simply means you can have two outputs with completely independent resolutions. You can get these for about the decent switch-box price, and get a better graphics performance thrown-in as well!

8. MrCoopz

MrCoopz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    how much is a GeForce4 ??

is already have a GeForce3 ti 200

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Here's a good graphics card click not cheap but there are cheaper ones with Dual output on the same site.
    I am going to hang on until I can afford a decent one, like above, unless Kramer would like to upgrade and sell me his old Gforce really cheap ;)
    BTW Kramer, I have earthed my Sky box, and the picture looks a lot better, not perfect but a big + :)

Cheers

10. MrCoopz

MrCoopz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Tim u can get the same one here for £145

and Tim im looking to improve the quality of my Sky Digital. Whats is this earthing thing??

11. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    As recommended by Kramer.
    I just got myself an old figure of eight lead and connected the blue lead to the casing of my digi box at one end and to the earth pin on the plug of the digi box. You may have to fit a new plug as most are the moulded type now. This removed the faint scroling horizontal lines i suffered with sky connected to dscaler and my tv card on my pc.

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It can be cheaper just to put in a second PCI graphics card in your PC. Just find a TNT2 PCI or Geforce2MX PCI card and you should be fine. They both have plenty of power to display DVDs, and they should be a lot cheaper: a TNT2 should be around £30-40 (if you can find it), a GF2MX around the £60 mark. I would prefer a GF2MX because of the lower power consumption, which may or may not be an issue on your PC. You can always try to pick one up second hand; they should cost next to nothing.

13. MrCoopz

MrCoopz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Tim i am goin from Sky to ProV would this still improve my pic??

14. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Only if you suffer from the faint scroling horizontal lines like I get with sky running through Dscaler.
    Is sky connected to your proV by composite or s-video?
    What do you think of the picture quality from sky connected to the ProV?

15. MrCoopz

MrCoopz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Im running it thru S-Video the picture quality is good but could be improved. It lacks that sharpness u get with a normal TV.

do u know anyway to improve it?

16. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    MrCoopz

Have you tried calibrating your projector with one of the many disc's avilable for setting up the picture.
    Try DVD Platinum, Avia or Video essentials.
    You could also try a Hoya fld 55mm filter to improve contrast.
    Or maybe a full running HTPC with filter, many people swear by this filter, but I have yet to try it out.
    Other things to try and do is not just get your room dark, it must also have low reflective walls and ceilings, but if your PJ is in your lounge you will be a bit limited in what you can do.
    I have my setup in my lounge, to imrove contrast I fitted blackout lining to my curtains, I then painted the ceiling matt magnolia and then recently redecorated with a darker wallpaper.
    This all helps, but the only way to get the best from the AE100 is to run it from a computer.

BTW You will, IMHO never get the picture quality of a normal television.
    We are limited by the low bitrate digital transmissions in the UK, I just hope the BBC up the bitrate when they get their digital tranmissions finalised.
    I have found that since running Sky through my PC I can make out the digital artifacts more frequently, down to the image being sharper.

17. MrCoopz

MrCoopz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    No i havnt Calibrated it yet, im waiting for "the calibrator".

And my DVD and PS2 picture is brilliant so i thought i could improve Digital.

Tim would u be able to take a pic of ur PC running thru the Panny i wanna see what it looks like compared to mine

18. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    MrCoopz

I will try later tonight if I have time, but I am not sure if you would see a differance on a photo.
    If you take a look at my link below you can see aome pictures from when I first got my projector.
    The Final Fantasy pic looks mint even though its only s-video, there are other pics of composite sky as well.

19. MrCoopz

MrCoopz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Tim or Kramer if i got this graphics card

V8420 /TD : GeForce4 Ti VGA, 128M DDR Memory, VGA-out, TV-out, DVI-I

Graphics Engine: NVIDIA® GeForce 4 Ti 4200 GPU

Video Memory: 128MB DDR Video Memory

OpenGL: Fully 1.2 Compliant OpenGL Support

Vertical refresh rate: 70-240 Hz

Max. Resolution: 2048 x 1536 x 85Hz

Bus Standard: AGP 4X / 2X

VGA outport: Standard 15-pin D-sub

TV-out port (adaptor bundled): S-VHS & Composite

Digital Flat Panel output: DVI-I

would it be ok for connectong both PJ and monitor without a switchbox and if so how would i connect both my Pj and Monitor at the same time.

would i need to buy anything else??

20. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    MrCoopz

I think this one's for Kramer, but I believe that the dual output graphics cards usually come with an adaptor so you can use the DVI-I port for normal vga output.
    You could try asking on the HTPC section, but they usually recommend ATI Radeon cards for video playback.

I did try to take some photos of sky but it's very difficult to get a decent photo when the image is moving, so I haven't bothered posting them.
    If you tell me what resolution the AE100 is running at with the ProV I will set my pc up to that and see what the differance is in picture quality.

My setup is still far from perfect, I still have a little noise with the picture, it could be down to Dscaler or it could be down to the low bitrate channels on sky. the sharper the image the more you see faults with the broadcast quality, thats the only downer.

21. MrCoopz

MrCoopz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I am running my ProV at the top resolution. I cant remember what the top is it think its 1026 x 768

22. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Do you meen 1024 x 768 if so does it show the signal as XGA in the picture menu on the Panny, if so I could compare this to wide480 with sky and Dscaler.
    Do you have PC priority set to wide or normal in the panny menu, it should probably be set to normal with the ProV :confused:

23. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    MrCoopz

I have just checked the AE100 manual and it states that 640 X 480 gives a picture quality as AA, as in the best, and would give vga480 in the menu of the projector, it maybe better than 1024 x 768 as it only gives this as pic quality A in the manual.
    I just thought it might be worth trying if you already haven't.

24. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr Coopz

Yep, that would be fine, as will any dual output card (with twin ramdacs - nview or hydravision).

Cheaper are available, the Gainward being available for ~£125.

IMO, differences between ATI & nVidia are negligable in terms of HTPC performance, & a GF4 Ti 4200 will outperform a R8500 in games (it has for me anyway), for 60% of the price.

No probs either with nVidia driver support, they seem to release them weekly :eek:

If you're into gaming, I'd definately go for the GF4 Ti.

25. MrCoopz

MrCoopz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    yeah i have Xga in the menu and i have just tried it at 640 x 480 it goes to wide480 but the picture is terrible. To look at it 1024 x 768 is far better

i have just setup my PC to PJ pic perfectly but its at 856 x 480 which is massive and i cant see much on the screen. IF i bought this new graphics card would it give me the same quality at 1280 x 720 because if i put it in that now it looks crap

26. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    MrCoopz

I also just tested the resolution at 680 x 480, it was terrible, I also got wide480, odd.
    I then tried it out at 1024 x 768 (60Hz) and the picture was very good, I would say that 856 x 480 was only slightly better. If your pretty flush buy the card and give it a go, if not save your penny's for other upgrades, the differance is slight.
    If I could get an image like I had with 1024 x 768 without any anomolies I get with dscaler, I would say the ProV is a good buy.
    I am getting a bit fed up with switching my monitor cables now, so I am going to try out s-video directly to the PJ for the weekend and see if I could live without wide480.

I also just tested SWE1 dvd from the PC I still get some vertical lines, even though I tried adjusting the clock phase without success.

27. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How would you describe the vertical lines Tim?

Maybe we could help if we knew what they were.

Have you used the digital test pattern to set clock phase & dot clock

28. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    No, I did it by eye, I dont suppose you could point me towards one :)

They only show up on sky scenes, a good test is when the ship first lands on Tatoine in SWE1, I get faint vertical lines on the sky shot.
    It almost looks to me like I am seeing the line structure of the pixel's.

29. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then you suppose wrong :D

Test pattern to be found here , instructions etc...

The .jpg is here .

See if that helps.

Make sure to tile the picture on your desktop.

30. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Kramer

Thanks, I will try it later, the kids are watching Shrek at the moment :) my 5 year old daughter refuses to watch dvd's unless they are on the big screen.