1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two monitors but one output.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Timh, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I have a Panasonic projector which I use for tv playback from my pc. I have to keep swapping the leads about from monitor to projector and its doing my head in.
    Today I bought a switch box for switching from monitor to projector, the problem was I got bad ghosting when using the switch box, i was using good quality screened cables, so the switch box went back, it just wasn't good enough.
    Can anyone recommend a good switch box with good shielding.
    Are Y leads any good?

What are you using for two monitors?

A radeon graphics card is another alternative with duel monitor out, but I am quite happy with my Nvidia gforce2 for now.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tim,

I'm using a GF4 Ti4200 at the mo.

I read that you (or your son?) are into MOHAA, maybe more gaming aswell?

If this is the case, you should upgrade your graphics card now that you've a nice XP1800+.

My card has dual outputs & twin ramdacs, so my PC monitor (15.1TFT on DVI) & AE-100 are permanently connected (twin VGA also possible with supplied adapter).

No cable swapping, just a few clicks with the mouse & I'm away.
    I had my Pronto & Girder switching but changed recently, need to set it up again.

This allows independent overlay adjustment, which is saved for each output.

The new Radeon 9000 with twin outputs is available for <£80, but is not recommended for gaming. The 9700 will be nearer £300!

I find the GF4 excellent in all regards, & I believe that the Gainward model I have uses ATI filters, so is fine for AE useage.

Switch boxes will be expensive (for a decent one), not offer remote control & require resolution change on the PC for 856x480.

I'd say upgrade your graphics card.

BTW, if you are going to upgrade send me a PM, might have some useful info for you in that regard.

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Kramer

Yes.. we are into gaming, I have completed MOHAA, but my Son has yet to complete it.
    GF4 Ti4200 sounds expensive, I wonder how good it would perform with using the VGA adaptor for the AE100? I am sure I read that the adaptors can sometimes be a bit fussy.
    I shall have to think about it, i have spent that much this year its unreal.
    Which gf4 did you go for, theres a Gainward here

Thanks again, you are Mr Knowledge ;)[

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, that's the one I have at the mo, but I've sent you a PM.

Thanks, glad to be of assistance ;)

5. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ....What are the cheaper Radeons like with twin output? Do you get stuck with the same resolution for both outputs?