Answered Two monitors but no extend aviable

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Agetori, May 13, 2018.

1. Agetori

Agetori
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So i have two monitors but, my pc detects both i can swith from one to the another but i cant use both at the same time as when i press the windows key and P then click extend it doest do nothing, i reinstalled my video card driver while both the monitors where plugged in, its radeon hd 6950. my main is form hdmi, the other one is from dvi to vga, when i start my pc it starts the screen from the second monitor but then as soon as i have to put in my password it switches back to the main one. how can i fix this? also recently it also says the second monitor when i swich to it, it says that i need to change my resolution, but in the display settings on the second monitor i cant change it cuz it just blank options and it kinda locked. windows 10. and in display settings when i click multiple displays option there its ticked as show only 1 screen but when i try to click extend screen it switches back to show only 1 screen

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  2. Best Answer:
    Post #16 by Agetori, May 22, 2018 (1 points)
  3. Agetori

Agetori
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    You might have to use the AMD catalyst driver control panel to set the primary display if Windows is not obeying it ? dont AMD have their own setup tool for multi-monitors but I haven't used it in years.

Another longshot is in the bios there may be some preference for the boot video output so DVI takes the first slot and that is why it boots first then switches over to the HDMI.

Not sure on the other issue with the resolution problems, all I can suggest is try UltraMon as a third party alternative perhaps it can overcome whatever the built in Windows multi-mon system wont.

5. Agetori

Agetori
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i download the ultramon but when i click on the second screen and click enable then apply it reverts it back itself to uncheck, why is this?

6. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,377
    I wouldn't expect ultramon to do anything until you've solved the core issue.

Two of your three screenshots are identical, if you meant to post three could you correct it so we can see the third?

Just to check the obvious, are both cables plugged into the graphics card? If one is plugged into a video output on the motherboard then this sort of behaviour can happen. It's also worth checking for bent/broken pins.

What does the display tab in radeon settings (formerly catalyst control center) show?

anything of relevance in Windows event log?

7. Agetori

Agetori
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i meant to post 2 photos showing monitor one and monitor 2 which has no options, and all of the cables (hdmi and dvi to vga) are in the gpu, they arent broken, after this i will be posting what it shows

8. Agetori

Agetori
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Agetori

Agetori
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and when i pres windows and P and selecting to show monitor 2 it changes it to that but it says that i need to change the resolution but i cant as its blank which u can see in the first picture of the monitor 2, and then i choose the extend option in windows and P it doenst do anything jsut switches back to only show monitor 1

10. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,184
    What options do you get on the monitor when you hit the down arrow on the desktop in each case within the ATI control panel ?

11. Agetori

Agetori
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do i open the ati control panel? i googled but the result which i got only worked on old computers.

12. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,184
    Sorry being very old school ATI got bought by AMD :)

Meant your 2nd image in post 7 :)

13. Agetori

Agetori
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dce4fa78b53bb1021d5f62d55e90f51a.png on my main monitor i get indentify display and on the second one i get extend and replace but when i click extend this is what i get which is shown on the picture above, and also after i clicked onced extend and i get this error message that option will become blank and if i want to click it again i have to exit the amd then reopen it

14. Agetori

Agetori
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is what i get shown when i press the help button f9535f7ed844e4bfb091d9f52a67af27.png

15. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,377
    Do you have it set to eyefinity mode? That's a special multi-monitor mode that allows them to be treated as a single large surface so apps that don't support multiple monitors can be stretched over all of them.

I can't remember where the stuff is in Catalyst control center but you should be able to set the resolution for the second display in there too. Is that also blank, or does it produce the same message as trying to enable extended mode?

16. Agetori

Agetori
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i can only set the resolution for monitor one, it doesnt show monitor two in there but it does detect it, and it doesnt let me create a group or simply it doesnt show me the eyefinity mode setting 5270e5ec93abd6fd2019d4ee81dd1326.png f8f0b4c932b400f4968c7f1702036094.png

17. Agetori

Agetori
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best Answer
    Turns out that i have plugged it in the wrong place as theres twi dvi ports in my gpu, so i just plugged it in the other one and it worked!

18. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,184
    Glad you got sorted.

Does one of the dvi ports have a slightly different pin layout.

The reason I ask is you can get both digital and analog dvi ports