Two Lamps One Plug

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now, I know anyone 'in the trade' will say no.
However, there is 'no' because it's bad, and 'no' because it's just not officially approved ;)

I have two lamps, which only have 4w LED Bulbs, and also, only have quite thin 2 core wire going into their plugs, with 3 amp fuses.

In reality, there would be zero danger, if I was to wire both lamps into a single plug would there?
As long as wires are twisted together well, and the cable clamp holds both cables correctly/tightly.

I can't see any reason why not, or there should be any danger for doing this.

Yes/No ?

I’ve done this with no issues , used a junction box that both lamps went into which went into a plug

Indeed, I could do it using that method, but would just be neater to have two cables directly into one plug, which is exactly the same in reality, I just know it's something you never see done.

Naturally I would not consider this as an option with high power items or thick wires.
But given thin cable and LED bulbs I genuinely can't see an issue.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

Note you have to purchase the connectors separately. Screwfix only sell them in packs of 100 :facepalm:

Last edited:
Thanks for advice.
Yes, fully take on board the proper options.
It's simply that I was/am trying to minimize what's on-view due to it's location.
I already had a multi-block adapter. Just trying to make neater.

Current result..........

549d651d509830f104d79f8e32e1642d.jpg

Like @shahedz and @nheather , I've in the past had lamps so wired, since that made no need to have any extra silly multiway sockets just for a lamp on each bedside table.

tbh at such a low amp that the lamps would use,i would go for 1 amp fuse(but that's just me)..

Note you have to purchase the connectors separately. Screwfix only sell them in packs of 100 :facepalm:

I struggle to see the difference. It is still wiring two leads into the same terminals.

The only advantage is if the two cables are physically too big to fit in the plug, but if the cables fit comfortably I can’t really see the difference between wiring them in the plug to wiring them in this junction box.

Cheers,

Nigel

I struggle to see the difference. It is still wiring two leads into the same terminals.

The only advantage is if the two cables are physically too big to fit in the plug, but if the cables fit comfortably I can’t really see the difference between wiring them in the plug to wiring them in this junction box.

Cheers,

Nigel

I was asking what is the difference, a genuine question.

Rather than posting a sad icon, wouldn’t it be more helpful and polite to answer the question and explain what is the difference.

Cheers,

Nigel

Give me a chance :rolleyes: Those Wago terminals are designed to have more than one cable inserted at one end :facepalm: I despair sometimes...

Last edited:
Last edited:
I un
Givw me a chance :rolleyes: Those Wago terminals are designed to have more than one cable inserted :facepalm: I despair sometimes...

I understand that but what is the difference electrically. Remember I ruled out squashing cables in that were too big.

So if the two cables comfortably fit into the plug, what is the difference.

@leamspaceman above suggested that if you wire in two 4W lamps then your house will burn down. Why would that be. Is it overloading the socket. And if it is then why would using a Wago terminal not overload the socket.

Of course I know that 8W won’t overload the socket. But what if it were two 2kW heaters. Well then (1) the two cables wouldn’t fit in the plug comfortably, I had ruled that one out (2) wiring them in Wago would still ovrload the socket and (3) actually wiring them in a proper multiway extension lead would still overload the socket.

What if it were a cheap lamp made in China with a piece of 3 amp junction block inside with three 4W lamps wired to it. How is that different?

I get that using wago blocks are considered a more acceptable solution, just not convinced there really is any difference In the OP’s scenario.

Cheers,

Nigel

Never mind, I seriously don’t see the difference providing you observe the total load and you are not crushing the cables.

Happy for someone to explain why that is not the case.

Cheers,

Nigel

3 way Nigel, that's 3 cables...

My mistake, thought the OP was only trying to wire up TWO 4W lamps.

Yes, three wires would undoubtably result in wiring too big for the plug which I clearly ruled out.

But I missed that that the OP was trying to connect in three lamps, thought it was two, must have misread that - yep, I ageee, wiring three cables into a single plug would be too much.

Cheers,

Nigel

3 way Wago connector. 2 in 1 out. It's not difficult Nigel.

I think we all know that, connecting 2 cables together in a junction box, a connector block, or into one plug, are in effect all exactly the same thing.
As long as all connections are tight, things are earthed correctly (if needed) and there is no exposed wires, and the correct fuse is in place.
In reality there is zero difference.
Two issues with what I have done.
1: It would only be practical with light gauge wire as otherwise it would not safely fit within a plug.
2: If you wanted to move one item it would mean un-wiring the plug as opposed to just pulling the plug from the socket (albeit you would have the same issue with a junction box)

As with most standards and rules I'm sure it's just to stop people who don't know what they are doing from doing stupid things. Like bar fires on the end of 5 multi-way adapters, or running high load power tools with 100m of wound up cable still on the spool.

I have a 3 way power socket, connected via a single 2.5mm twin/earth cable to my consumer unit for a bedroom extension.
The trip in the consumer unit is a 6a trip, and the only things plugged into it as things like lamp, radio, smart speaker etc.
It can't overload as if you did stick a fire onto it, the 6a trip would blow out before the single 2.5 would heat up as that can carry up to about 24 amps. so it can't get hot or be dangerous ever.
it's the same as a multiway adaptor, albeit its wired into the consumer unit as opposed to a plug socket.

I fully appreciate many people have no idea about the dangers, hence why things are made the way they are. I'm always very impressed by the standards of electrical items in the UK.

That said, I'm sure some adaptors and such like on ebay are probably very poorly constructed.
Trouble is these days, even if you buy from a high street store or a well known brand name it doe snot guarantee quality as big brand names from the past can be slapped onto almost anything it seems.

If I can, I will always pay more and buy MK items for plugs/sockets/switches as they always seem to be made really well. Not worth it for the odd £1 or £2.
That said if you were buying 1000's then I can see why some may cheap out on lesser brands.

My mistake, thought the OP was only trying to wire up TWO 4W lamps.

Yes, three wires would undoubtably result in wiring too big for the plug which I clearly ruled out.

But I missed that that the OP was trying to connect in three lamps, thought it was two, must have misread that - yep, I ageee, wiring three cables into a single plug would be too much.

Cheers,

Nigel
The OP is trying to connect 2 lamps not three, unless im missing something?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom