Two Humax PVR9150T locking up since this AM

blib

Standard Member
I have two of these PVRs and both are locking up since this morning.Powering off and on fixes them for about 3 minutes then they lock up again.Is anyone having the same issue?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Anyone who has for some reason not got the latest firmwares.

9300 is currently on air so the following advice from Barry (My Humax) should sort

I have just read a report elsewhere that suggests you cannot update as user cannot access the menus. Power cycle, and immediately press menu button when picture appears should allow users to update, I did this earlier after tests on earlier software.

From same source Humax have arranged short notice OTA for 9150 from 10am tommorow. Above procedure should hopefully work.

Last edited:

staggo

Standard Member
Cheers for the help guys.
I'm having the same problem, as is my mother.
I tried resetting the box and running an update to no avail, it's saying no update is available.
I guess we'll have to wait and see if Humax auto OTA update resolves it.

m4rky

Anyone managed to get it working again?
Or are we all waiting for tomorow?

I have one thats just started locking up today.

What do I have to do to get the OTA to work?

POHB

Standard Member
My PVR-9150T keeps freezing this evening too, after a minute or so of watching. It continues to play but won't respond to the controls without a power cycle.
Trying to update the software via PC now

m4rky

m4rky

Well, that worked. Yay! v a.39 has been running for a while now with no freezes.

Did you do it using a serial cable?

I don't think I have any PCs with a serial port anymore.
Though I do have a USB to serial convertor.
That might work.

Will try the PC update method if the OTA doesn't work.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
hi will this fix itsself overnight? my parents have this box and told me over email today it broke. They are retired and not computer savvy at all, so paid for an engineer to come out today who told then it was broke and to buy a new unit which they are in the process of ordering. i am 200 miles away so cant help them.

i am not happy to be honest, they have paid money for what is clearly a massive probem which is not their fault.

staggo

Standard Member
hi will this fix itsself overnight? my parents have this box and told me over email today it broke. They are retired and not computer savvy at all, so paid for an engineer to come out today who told then it was broke and to buy a new unit which they are in the process of ordering. i am 200 miles away so cant help them.

i am not happy to be honest, they have paid money for what is clearly a massive probem which is not their fault.

I suggest you read the thread on the link I posted earlier (although it's a bit of a long read), it contains all the answers and a guide.
From what I understand the update to fix it will be available from 10am tomorrow.
However, the box is set to look for updates at 4am (by default) so the box will not find the update until 4am on Friday morning.
The box has to (apparently) be in standby mode, ie powered down in order for it to search for updates.
So without running the update manually (there is a howto guide on the other forum I linked to) after 10am tomorrow morning, it will not fix itself until after 4am on Friday morning provided the box is powered down at that time.
Or you can follow the guide to change the update time to 11:00am tomorrow and leave the box in standby til after say 11:30am when it should have updated itself.

Hope this helps.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam

It's entirely their fault.

In common with pretty well all modern kit software updates are carried out overnight so as not to interfere with normal viewing patterns. This requires the box is left in sby overnight (the power comsumption is minute at around 0.75W).

If the box is either left fully on, set to record at the critical 3am time or powered off at the mains then the update cannot happen. This particular update has been transmitted several times over several weeks, 9300 owners can either update the software now or if properly left in sby overnight should get the update overnight. Humax have pulled out all the stops to get the 9150 update over the air update back on air by 10:00 am tomorrow. This means that 9i50 owners can manually update tommorow or wait for the auto update Saturday morning. Avoid the problem in future by either putting the box in sby or leaving it to the auto sby default settings.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
their box is always left on standby so for what ever reason this has failed to happen, and they would not have been recording at 3 or 4 am.

literally overnight dozens (hundreds or more?) peoples boxes suddenly have stopped working. You or I may not have an issue and can sort it ourselves, but people who do not have internet to go to forums such as this, and are used to just tuning a TV in and it working until it breaks are not as likely to be able to fix it themselves.

So I think to just say its their fault is a little unfair. they turned it off and on again, tried to retune it in, which i think is all which can be expected of people when it comes to hardware.

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
their box is always left on standby so for what ever reason this has failed to happen, and they would not have been recording at 3 or 4 am.

literally overnight dozens (hundreds or more?) peoples boxes suddenly have stopped working. You or I may not have an issue and can sort it ourselves, but people who do not have internet to go to forums such as this, and are used to just tuning a TV in and it working until it breaks are not as likely to be able to fix it themselves.

So I think to just say its their fault is a little unfair. they turned it off and on again, tried to retune it in, which i think is all which can be expected of people when it comes to hardware.

In that case somethings wrong. A few boxes haven't updated because the sys ID is incorrect. If that's the case the box needs to be reflashed with the correct one.

Every single box affected had not got the latest firmware and apart from the above rare problem every single failure was down to the box not being in sby during the period that the OTA was being transmitted.

They should now be able to manually update the software.

liz p

Standard Member
Dear Graham Tompson,

My appologies as this isn't the correct thread, I can't find where I was before. I've only signed up so I can contact you.
I wanted to say a massive thank you. My Humax box wasn't working, I practically had my coat on to go up Richer Sounds. Then I read your advice, did what you said (went back to defult settings, also uploaded new software) and bingo!
You are a complete star. Numpties like us need brains like yours.
Happy Christmas.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
It looks like the Freeview change that caused the problem has now been reversed. Boxes with older firmwares are now working OK.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio