Two help questions for newbie with Synology DS1515+

examiga1990

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Synology DS1515+ with extra 8GB ram. I have just bought this NAS drive (2nd hand) it all seems in great working order. I`ve upgraded from a 4TB WDMCLOUD Nas which was a bit easier to work how to work and get the best out of it.

On the Synology Nas I`ve installed a 3TB drive and I`ve got it all working and even made a folder called Family Films and even downloaded a video file. I can see the drive and folder and even the video file via my windows 10 laptop (via Wi-Fi) and can even play the film via VLC via my laptop. So all working good so far. The only thing is on my home network via my Smart TV and a couple of Firesticks using Kodi I can see the ip address of the drive but when I click on it to open it up nothing. On the Smart TV I cannot even see it. Yet the same home network I can see my WDMCLOUD on the Smart TV and on both Kodi devices and play the videos of all streaming devices fine, so any help on this please.

My next problem is the Lan ports on this NAS there are 4 can I use one as going out with full internet and home network info (so like a continuation from my router ports which are all full) I`ve connected up Lan port 1 straight to my main router and Lan port 2 I connected up to a
Powerline Network Adapter but when I plug in another Powerline Network Adapter in my house it’s not getting internet. These same Powerline Network Adapters when connected via my router all work as they should so I know I need to config` my Synology DS1515+ for this.

So any help on these two questions will really help me, many thanks

I don't know the Synology OS but it seems that you need to enable UPNP on the server and also make any folders/files that need to be available on the network "Shared Folders" and enable permissions for the folders/files.

I have a Synology DS1515+ with extra 8GB ram. I have just bought this NAS drive (2nd hand) it all seems in great working order. I`ve upgraded from a 4TB WDMCLOUD Nas which was a bit easier to work how to work and get the best out of it.

On the Synology Nas I`ve installed a 3TB drive and I`ve got it all working and even made a folder called Family Films and even downloaded a video file. I can see the drive and folder and even the video file via my windows 10 laptop (via Wi-Fi) and can even play the film via VLC via my laptop. So all working good so far. The only thing is on my home network via my Smart TV and a couple of Firesticks using Kodi I can see the ip address of the drive but when I click on it to open it up nothing. On the Smart TV I cannot even see it. Yet the same home network I can see my WDMCLOUD on the Smart TV and on both Kodi devices and play the videos of all streaming devices fine, so any help on this please.
Samba the linux version of windows networking can be a bit of a nuisance some times, there are some things you can try but I've always found setting up NFS access a more reliable alternative which Kodi can read.

Click on “Control Panel” & select “File Services” scroll down to the bottom of the section and enable NFS service.

Next go to “Shared Folder” in the same control panel zone and select a folder then click on “edit”.

Go to the “NFS Permissions” and click on “Create”

Use these settings
Hostname or IP = *
Privilege = Read/Write
Squash = Map all users to admin
Security = sys
Asynchronous = Enabled
Allow connections from non-reserved ports = enabled
Allow users to access mounted sub folders = enabled

In Kodi browse for NFS servers and it should see the IP of the server, one thing though is that you must manually assign a fixed IP to the NAS as the network share is based on the IP address (which can change via DHCP). Most modern internet routers can tag an IP address to a device on the network without having to manually set a fixed IP in NAS settings but either way works.

For the TV's you can use the UPnP/DLNA media server Synology supply.

Another option that doesn't need any of the above is set up a media server on the NAS like Emby/Plex from Synology package centre and use the clients on whatever devices support them (most TV's have a built in client app) and Kodi has addons for them.

For the network issues, I'm unsure on that one, never owned a model that had an ethernet hub, the tutorials on synology site might be of some help or someone here knows what to do.

I don't know the Synology OS but it seems that you need to enable UPNP on the server and also make any folders/files that need to be available on the network "Shared Folders" and enable permissions for the folders/files.
thanks will take a look

Samba the linux version of windows networking can be a bit of a nuisance some times, there are some things you can try but I've always found setting up NFS access a more reliable alternative which Kodi can read.

Click on “Control Panel” & select “File Services” scroll down to the bottom of the section and enable NFS service.

Next go to “Shared Folder” in the same control panel zone and select a folder then click on “edit”.

Use these settings
Hostname or IP = *
Privilege = Read/Write
Security = sys
Asynchronous = Enabled

In Kodi browse for NFS servers and it should see the IP of the server, one thing though is that you must manually assign a fixed IP to the NAS as the network share is based on the IP address (which can change via DHCP). Most modern internet routers can tag an IP address to a device on the network without having to manually set a fixed IP in NAS settings but either way works.

Another option that doesn't need any of the above is set up a media server on the NAS like Emby/Plex from Synology package centre and use the clients on whatever devices support them (most TV's have a built in client app) and Kodi has addons for them.

For the network issues, I'm unsure on that one, never owned a model that had an ethernet hub, the tutorials on synology site might be of some help or someone here knows what to do.
thanks for this thats great I will take a good look at these settings, thanks again

Use these settings
Hostname or IP = *
Privilege = Read/Write
Security = sys
Asynchronous = Enabled

Ok I`ve had a play with the settings now like I said via my laptop all is good can see Folder and play files. Now via Kodi after doing what you say I can now see the Hard Drive and Folder then thats it when I click on the folder to open it up (as I can/do with my WDMYCLOUD) it does nothing. It will not let me open the folder.

I tried again did what you say but same thing just stops on Folder will not let me open it and see films/files. So I`m much further along than I was, so its just this last hurdle, so to speak.

I`ve enclosed a screen shot The Host Name or IP is the IP of the Synology NAS

Thank You

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-30 at 18-42-21 synology1515 - Synology DiskStation.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-30 at 18-42-21 synology1515 - Synology DiskStation.png
    150.3 KB · Views: 54
it may be that your units need the older version of the SMB protocol (unfortunatly).
Try going to file services->SMB, click the Advanced button, and change the "Minimum SMB protocol" to SMB1. Also change "Enable server signing" to "disable".

If that does not work, I recommend changing them back..

Ok I`ve had a play with the settings now like I said via my laptop all is good can see Folder and play files. Now via Kodi after doing what you say I can now see the Hard Drive and Folder then thats it when I click on the folder to open it up (as I can/do with my WDMYCLOUD) it does nothing. It will not let me open the folder.

I tried again did what you say but same thing just stops on Folder will not let me open it and see films/files. So I`m much further along than I was, so its just this last hurdle, so to speak.

Thank You
might seem like a daft suggestion ,have you installed video station and media server on the nas.

might seem like a daft suggestion ,have you installed video station and media server on the nas.

No as I said I`m moving over from a WDMCLOUD and I never did this just made a folder put files in and a way you went all smart TV and Kodi etc saw/played all files

it may be that your units need the older version of the SMB protocol (unfortunatly).
Try going to file services->SMB, click the Advanced button, and change the "Minimum SMB protocol" to SMB1. Also change "Enable server signing" to "disable".

ok I will try this, thanks

no tried that no joy. Its something daft Im not doing I know but what the hell, god knows. I will have to go back to the start and try again. It would be good if someone on this forum had same NAS (or even make) and could guide me through using Kodi. I thought this was going to be a simple task (like my WD NAS) but its not........ Its such a big buddle of settings to get your head round compared to a WD NAS. I know I`ve got a good/great NAS drive but untill I can use it easy (as before) its a lump of metal on a shelf

My next problem is the Lan ports on this NAS there are 4 can I use one as going out with full internet and home network info (so like a continuation from my router ports which are all full) I`ve connected up Lan port 1 straight to my main router and Lan port 2 I connected up to a Powerline Network Adapter but when I plug in another Powerline Network Adapter in my house it’s not getting internet. These same Powerline Network Adapters when connected via my router all work as they should so I know I need to config` my Synology DS1515+ for this.

So any help on these two questions will really help me, many thanks

I don't know your kit, so I can only speak in general networking terms.

If there's multiple NIC's on a host, there's basically two ways you can use them and much will depend on the software (OS) capability and what your switches are capable of.

You can bind them up with multiple IP addresses, IE each NIC has a different IP address, then you should be able to plug them in wherever you like. But you will have to be aware of how traffic to/from each NIC "hops" through your infrastructure in order for each client device to decide which one to use. You may also have to tell the NAS which is the "preferred" NIC for traffic to/from any given destination. (If you aren't a hobbyist, I just wouldn't bother.)

Alternatively you could bind NIC's into something called an Aggregated Link whereby they all use a single IP address and you get a "fatter" pipe. Link Aggregation (LA) requires that the switch you connect to also support LA to bind up the physical connections into a single "logical" pipe. LA also requires that all links are the same speed and media type - so you can't just plug them in anywhere you like. LA may be more useful as it avails more bandwidth (though note not more "speed") though the usefulness in a SOHO use case is debatable unless you want to nerd out.

Finally, each NIC could be connected to a separate network - either physically separate or using VLAN's. However, I'd guess if you are asking a in a forum such as this, you probably don't have such already and probably don't need it.

BTW - if you haven't already done so, for a secondhand purchase, I'd be inclined to reset it to factory defaults if possible and upgrade to the latest OS/firmware So doing will (hopefully) get rid of any "baggage" from the previous owner and whilst you've got some "virgin" kit, it's worth updating to the latest software/firmware as so doing once you've got "live" data on there is a bit more risky. It's the sort of thing we often do "in the business" when we get new kit - first order of business, before we even begin testing and deploying live data, is to install to the latest versions of software.

I don't know your kit, so I can only speak in general networking terms.

If there's multiple NIC's on a host, there's basically two ways you can use them and much will depend on the software (OS) capability and what your switches are capable of.

You can bind them up with multiple IP addresses, IE each NIC has a different IP address, then you should be able to plug them in wherever you like. But you will have to be aware of how traffic to/from each NIC "hops" through your infrastructure in order for each client device to decide which one to use. You may also have to tell the NAS which is the "preferred" NIC for traffic to/from any given destination. (If you aren't a hobbyist, I just wouldn't bother.)

Alternatively you could bind NIC's into something called an Aggregated Link whereby they all use a single IP address and you get a "fatter" pipe. Link Aggregation (LA) requires that the switch you connect to also support LA to bind up the physical connections into a single "logical" pipe. LA also requires that all links are the same speed and media type - so you can't just plug them in anywhere you like. LA may be more useful as it avails more bandwidth (though note not more "speed") though the usefulness in a SOHO use case is debatable unless you want to nerd out.

Finally, each NIC could be connected to a separate network - either physically separate or using VLAN's. However, I'd guess if you are asking a in a forum such as this, you probably don't have such already and probably don't need it.

BTW - if you haven't already done so, for a secondhand purchase, I'd be inclined to reset it to factory defaults if possible and upgrade to the latest OS/firmware So doing will (hopefully) get rid of any "baggage" from the previous owner and whilst you've got some "virgin" kit, it's worth updating to the latest software/firmware as so doing once you've got "live" data on there is a bit more risky. It's the sort of thing we often do "in the business" when we get new kit - first order of business, before we even begin testing and deploying live data, is to install to the latest versions of software.

Ok your right I had just reset the login password but I`ve now done factory default and upgraded to the latest OS/firmware. So I will start gain from scratch and start again.

Thank You

Double check that the media folder your accessing has admin read/write access via shared folder->permissions.

Also the NFS permissions should look like this, only one * in IP field.

Attachments

• Synology4.PNG
    Synology4.PNG
    86.3 KB · Views: 44
Double check that the media folder your accessing has admin read/write access via shared folder->permissions.

Also the NFS permissions should look like this, only one * in IP field.
Yippie! thank you so much. Ive done it. It was that * in IP field I had just stuck the ip of the nas in there. Ive just kicked myself (hard to do:) around the room. Right now I`ve sussed that I can load it up. And maybe have a play with other features that this NAS has to offer.

Thank you again and have a Happy New Year

I dont suppose any idea with the Lan port to make one in/out with full internet and full network?

From here, not sure if that applies to your product but it sounds like the ports dont function as a switch and are for other purposes.

Can I share the Internet connection on my Synology NAS using a physical network ports?​

No, you can’t. Physical network ports on your Synology NAS cannot be used as an alternative of a network switch or router to share the Internet connection with other client devices.
If you run out of physical network ports on a switch or router to provide Internet access for other client devices, please consider to purchase a new switch or router to expand the number of ports.

If the above is true then a switch is needed but those are dirt cheap.

From here, not sure if that applies to your product but it sounds like the ports dont function as a switch and are for other purposes.

If the above is true then a switch is needed but those are dirt cheap.
Ok at least I know well that`s great had both my querstions answered Thanks to this forum thanks very much to all the guys and girls for your help. Happy New Year

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom