1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two DVI output graphics card recommendation

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by taimur, May 22, 2003.

1. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there any graphics cards that output on two DVI ports? Ideally, it would be possible to have two different outputs from each port. Also, how good are DVI to VGA converters? (eg this: http://www.thepcstore.co.uk/Graphics Cards/Mentor/GR1125.php)

The reason I ask is that I have a PC with a CRT display at the moment. I plan to buy a plasma and LCD screen in the future, and upgrade my graphics card to cope with dual output for each screen.

Thanks
    Taimur

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Radeons dont allow different reolutions on each output so useless for what you want to do, the Matrox cards might be an option.

3. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what if I got an LCD monitor capable of displaying 1024x768 and a Pioneer 433MXE. Would it then be OK to get a Radeon, rather than a Matrox. I think the Matrox's tend to be a little more expensive at just over £200 whereas Radeon's are going for around just over £100.

Taimur

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I beleive that the Pioneer has a native res od 1024*768 so in that case a Radeon would pprobably give the better PQ for HTPC use and with both displays on the same resolution you have no problems.

The latest radeon drivers (cat 3.4) allow the overlay to work on a cloned display for the 1st time so that suits this application perfectly.

5. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Eh, yes they do. Have done for a couple of years now, at least.

The Matrox Millennium P750 is probably worth a quick look as it has dual DVI output - quite expensive though. Perhaps the Millenium G550 (dual DVI version) is a better bet at about £100, but is overall not too hot in terms of specs. PowerColor were showing off a Radeon 9700 with dual DVI output a while back but nothing ever came of that. Again, that probably would have been too expensive.

For ~£100 the G550 seems like your only option, although consider that if you can find a cheap PCI card with DVI output you can run two graphics cards in order to provide your two DVI outputs.

MuFu.

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    News to me, how do you do it then? :confused:

7. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You select a monitor from the drop-down menu in the Windows Display Properties app (=>Settings tab) and change the res. The other monitor shouldn't change if both are installed properly. You can also run independent refresh rates.

I was running two LCDs at 1280x1024 and 1280x768 independently just recently (9700 Pro). In the past I've had two CRTs at 1280x960@85Hz and 1154x864@75Hz (8500LE) and a CRT and TV at 1280x960@85Hz and 848x480@60Hz respectively (HTPC - AIW 7500).

I only think it works in extended desktop mode though - perhaps why you think otherwise. I believe some Matrox cards can go one step further and allow individual desktops, which I don't think is possible with nV or ATi solutions.

:confused:

MuFu.

8. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still a bit confused - do the Radeon models have dual DVI outputs or are they one VGA and one DVI?

Thanks
    Taimur

9. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think all the ATI cards with adual output (ie not AIW) have 1 vga and 1 dvi.

10. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, just 1x DVI & 1x VGA output incapable of independent resolutions (at the same time).

Dual DVI outputs at individual resolutions would be ideal for me too - 1366x768 (HS10) & 1280x1024 (Hitachi LCD) - yummy, but not today :(

11. tjcronin

tjcronin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Radeon cards CAN have differrent resolutions on two differrent display while displaying the windows desktop. I believe there is a problem when running 'clone' mode, where the displays have to be the same resolution. 'Clone' mode is where the second display is used to show a full-screen video.