1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

two dvd decks!!!!!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by coolgools, Jan 22, 2001.

1. coolgools

coolgools

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most people will have two or more tv's in the house and perhaps two more VCR's aswell.
    With the advent of DVD becoming mainstream how many of the members have more than one DVD machines (computers drives excluding- these are only for the fairies and the nerds). I'm thinking of a second deck for the kids as its increasingly frustrating when they hogg my "home cinema".
    what criteria would you you apply to the second deck?( my main deck is pioneer 717 multiregion)
    What dou you think?

------------------
    RESISTANCE IS FUTILE...YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!!!

[This message has been edited by coolgools (edited 22-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by coolgools (edited 22-01-2001).]

2. DaBuzz

DaBuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my parents a DVD Player for Christmas in the living room of my house, a Toshiba 100E. The picture is actually better than my Pioneer 626D. A second DVD is worth it in every way, i dont get the rest of my family saying "can i watch a DVD?". Peace at last!

3. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I can't think of a better reason to go out and buy the latest deck for myself while doing the honourable thing and letting my family have the benefit of my cast off [​IMG]

I've done that already with my old Yamaha 700, except I gave it to friends - had I not been buying new speakers and upgrading to 6.1 I might have bought my 3rd DVD player in 3 years. That DVD32R will have to wait a little while longer though [​IMG]

Problem is, technology moves so fast, these things are becoming almost a commodity like PCs, hence the reference to the Tag machine - at least there's some decent commitment from the manufacturer to keep it up to date and it may work out cheaper than being sucked into the constant upgrading routine

4. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,414
    I have two

a region 1 only machine that I imported in Aug 97 and a multi-region 919.

I also have a Pioneer DVD ROM drive which I have never made any use of and am soon going to be buying a dvd audio player soon

5. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    certainly go for a second player.

I'm on my 3rd, 4th and 5th player at the moment. I originally imported an RCS 5500P in October 97 followed by a Panasonic A110 in April 98. Then I went multi region and bought 2 Pioneer 606Ds (which I still use as my main decks in the living room and bedroom) and I have a Samsung (807 I think) as my third player in my computer room.

Might upgrade to a DVD Audio capable player towards the end of 2002 when hopefully we'll have players for a reasonable price that can playback DVDA and SACD.

6. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I have a chipped Panasonic A360 for quality playback, and I bought a Mico A980s for my wife because of Karaoke/cdr/cd-rw/mp3/multiregion (hand set hack) playback etc. With the mico I intend to use my computer to convert some videos (old films on VHS/wedding video! etc)on to CDRs.........Paul

------------------
    I'am not drinking anymore....but i'am not drinking any less

7. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been thinking about getting one for the bedroom, along with a widescreen telly. It'll definitely be a budget job though, as it's only a 'spare'.

Possibly a Wharfedale TV/DVD pair from Tescos for a total of about £450. But then there are some ridiculously cheap players around now, and if they prove to be able to handle the software than I might go even cheaper. I'm thinking of that £100 job from Richer Sounds.

But then again none of this will be happening until I move in a year or so, by which time I may want to upgrade my existing system, especially as I plan to build a dedicated cinema room.

But that would probably mean having 3 players - 1 for the cinema, 1 for the lounge and 1 for the bedroom.

Sorry for waffling, just thinking as I write! [​IMG]

Ptm

8. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Got a Tosh 2109 and a Pioneer DV515. Both chipped.

9. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I envisaged right from the beginning when I chose my Panasonic DVD player that it would most likely end up in the bedroom whenever I upgraded.

I figured I'd let DVD-Audio and SACD (+multi channel?) battle it out a bit to see what happens there, and perhaps think about progressive scan at a later date too.

So figuring this I went for a more budget oriented player, Panasonic RV60 for £348inc, which had the dd/dts decoder on board, on the expectation of having a few amps spare (I already have 2 stereo amps spare, and 4 speakers) for this to gain new life.

I think 2 DVD players has great potential. Even more so for those with kids who want to watch Toy Story again...

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Started off with a sammy 709,i had it for about 3 months before i started noticing problems with it(nothing major just niggly stuff)
    Then i bought a panasonic a360 from techtronics ,this is my main player in the living room.
    Ditched the sammy 709 and made the mistake of getting a smart 2000 that was worse than the sammy
    Ditched the smart 2000 after seeing a wonderful review of the yello800 5/5 in every department in total dvd,worst player i ever bought
    So now im back were i started from with a newer sammy 709 and the wonderful panasonic a360.

I know i rambled on a bit but i dont post often so thats my excuse [​IMG]