• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Two Dimms Down

Bemused One

Distinguished Member
Hello peeps,

I was just wondering if anyone else has had the following issue?

After only 8 months of service, my Asus P8Z77-M Pro motherboard seems to have developed a fault. For some reason two of the DIMM sockets have simply stopped working, thus I can no longer run my memory in dual channel mode. :( Can anyone tell me if this problem can be rectified, or am I looking at an RMA situation here?

cokker

Established Member
If it didn't work from the start I would have suggested either a compatibility problem or a CPU pin was bent.

Giving up after 8 months sounds like a fault has developed :( RMA time.

Have you fiddled with the RAM or did it not boot one day?

Bemused One

Distinguished Member
Thank you so much for replying, cokker. :)

If it didn't work from the start I would have suggested either a compatibility problem or a CPU pin was bent.
Can a computer still fire up if one of the pins in the socket is bent?

Have you fiddled with the RAM or did it not boot one day?
I did remove the RAM recently, with the intention of using it in a new build. However that new build keeps suffering delays, so I reseated the RAM in my current system and that's when I started to have problems. The RAM is still okay though because both sticks still work in DIMM sockets 3 and 4. It's just sockets 1 and 2 that aren't working. :(

cokker

Established Member
No problem, depending on the pin a CPU can still work, an earth or if your lucky something that is not connected (the IGPU? These are disabled on CPU's like the 2550K so might still work not sure).

Is it possible some dust worked it's way into the slot? Have you tried putting just one DIMM in slot 1 and booting? Other than clearing the CMOS (taking the battery out) there isn't much you can fiddle with :(

Bemused One

Distinguished Member
Good to hear from you again, cokker. :smashin:

No problem, depending on the pin a CPU can still work, an earth or if your lucky something that is not connected
Okay, this may be a silly question, but can the pins bend out of shape on their own over time?

Is it possible some dust worked it's way into the slot?
Unlikely. I always make sure I work in a clean environment when I am working with the guts of any computer.

Have you tried putting just one DIMM in slot 1 and booting?
Yeah, I tried that. Again DIMMs 1 and 2 give me no joy, but 3 and 4 are fine.

Other than clearing the CMOS (taking the battery out) there isn't much you can fiddle with :(
Funnily enough I attempted that today. I switched the jumper around, but unseating the battery was so awkward I just left it for fear of doing any damage to it.

cokker

Established Member
No problem :smashin:

Okay, this may be a silly question, but can the pins bend out of shape on their own over time?

The chances are slim to none, unless there was a defect during the manufacturing (again very slim).

Yeah, I tried that. Again DIMMs 1 and 2 give me no joy, but 3 and 4 are fine.

Sounds like the motherboard has decided to call it quits if the CPU and RAM are all working. A Gigabyte board of mine once gave up for no reason, just one of those things :(

Funnily enough I attempted that today. I switched the jumper around, but unseating the battery was so awkward I just left it for fear of doing any damage to it.

Yeah some are easy and some are a nightmare, My current ASRock looks awkward :facepalm:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom