Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Two computers, two operating systems?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by gargoyle, Jul 26, 2005.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I've just put together my second computer which is primarily a gaming rig, my other being for the more mundane stuff (internet, printing, burning etc).
    I currently use windows 2000 which has served me well but I've noticed that everyone is upgrading to XP and given that ie7 won't be made available for w2k, am thinking of upgrading to xp but I have two queries -

1 - can I use the same operating system for both computers? My friend says that its a case of one copy, one computer, if that is the case, I can't believe that I'd have to buy a copy for each computer.

2 - if I had to format my hard drive and reinstall xp (after a previous xp installation) would I have to re-register?

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I'm afraid that is the case. You'll probably find it's burried away in the T&C's somewhere.

I wouldn't really worry about IE7. Stick with Win2k for your non-gaming rig and either use IE6 or Firefox instead. I certainly wouldn't upgrade an OS just becuase of a web browser

3. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    Indeed - one copy one computer... Otherwise everyone would just borrow their mate's copy... You can buy full OEM copies of Home XP for about £60 though, but you have to buy this at the same time as an essential component of a PC (like motherboard etc).

4. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    I use Windows 2000 as my gaming OS. XP for work. I've had too many problems with XP and games to recount. You can install XP to both machines should you so wish. All you do, as it's a legal copy, is ring Microsoft for an activation code for your original PC should you choose to install it on that HDD. The process is automated so no awkward questions are asked anyway. ;) Microsoft is after piracy, not stiffing home users for half a dozen copies of Windows for each household.

Although technically, it's one licenced copy per PC (and it always has been going back to Windows 1.0), Gate's leather clad boot boys won't be knocking down your door for installing on two PC's! :D

MS will know if it's been installed to a 'mates HDD' by your IP address. Same IP, no worries. As before, MS don't care about what you do with at home, it's if you copy it that trouble starts.

You do have to re-register XP each time you re-install. It's up to five times as I recall, before you need to contact MS directly for a new licence.

Oh btw the above was advice given by an MS developer.

5. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Its not a case of registering - thats optional. What you will need to do is activate windows each time. This will only take a couple of seconds over the net, so no big deal.

Also if you have an old* copy of windows (other than the one used for your other PC) you can get away with buying the upgrade version of XP only.

*Meaning 2000, NT, ME, 98. It used to be 95 for a while too (although not intentially) but not sure if thats still the case.

6. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    My understanding (and I've not read the T&C's or anything, who ever does?)is that if you activate a serial numbered copy of XP, it would de-activate any other copies carrying the same serial number next time you logged on to t'interweb. Is this not the case then - it's only if you log on using a different IP address?

7. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    ive instaled the same copy of XP 3 times so far. Twice on the same PC but with a different HD (old one died)

And a 3rd time on my HTPC. I havent had any trouble so far.

I guess I can install another 2 times before I have to do something.

8. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    I wouldn't advise it. Windows upgrades can be bad for your health. Better to do a clean install.

If MS carried out that kind of intrusion level then there would be murder! They would need to be able to read the serial code from within Windows registry. I can't see the average punter, unhappy enough as they are with MS's plans for how they download, browse, etc, wearing that.

The way people get caught out is when you use a serial number MS knows is pirated or 'in the wild' (ie on the net). This gets found out when you download updates and the checking procedure finds an incorrect activation key.

That way MS can hardly be accused of doing anymore than protect their copyright. Which quite frankly, is only right.

9. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It's the same thing m8. The only difference is if it can't find an existing copy of windows on the hard drive (before formatting it), it'll request the CD of a previous version of windows to verify that you're entitled to the upgrade - this only takes a couple of seconds.

Performing a clean install from a full or upgrade version of XP ultimately results in the same thing.

10. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks for the info people - I've decided to carry on using windows 2000 - I was worried that with microsoft winding down support for formats other than xp, eventually, no upgrades or downloads would be available - I was certainly worried that ie7 is'nt going to be available for w2k but following cerebros's lead, I downloaded the latest version of firefox - what a revelation, miles better than ie6!
    As xp does'nt appear to be a significantly faster than w2k and offers very little new, I'm sticking to this baby until vista makes an appearance.

11. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    Sorry, I was referring to upgrading from a previously installed version. As in Gargoyles case. Again, that I would not advise.

I use both Gargoyle. ;) Dual booting on todays mega sized HDDs makes even more sense. The times it's saved vital data from certain destruction.........