Two CHT-10's or one CHT-15?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by joust, Feb 5, 2003.

1. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    As title? Cost for either option would be similar. So what would be best?

Joust

p.s. Considering this setup as a replacement for my REL Stadium 2, or should I just stick with the REL?

2. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Personally i would stick with the Rel, i am very familiar with this (a good friend has had one for ever) and of all the older Rel ST products it is probably the worst due to its frankly awful crossover (leaks like a bitch you can almost hear soprano ranges from it at its lowest settiing - 22hz!!!!) and it doesn't have a low level input (if this is an issue?).
    But it certainly does go down to 18hz nicely (certainly in my friends room which is approx 7x4m) as we have proved with a Stryke test disc (all be it at some roll-off) and tremendous output (spl's).
    We recently borrowed an MJ Pro A 50 and 100 (i would expect the 100 to be at least the match of the CHT 10) a Rel Quake, Strata 3 and Storm 3 just for a little comparative listening and crossover slopes and input options aside we really didn't feel that there was any significant differences particularly in A.V terms, i did think the Storm was a very elegant performer (i used to own 2 of the original Storms) but it certainly did not go anywhere near as low.

Have you thought of perhaps adding an external crossover to feed a seperate amp and then to the Rel at high level (not vey esoteric if you are a music lover) but when we tried this with one of my "sit-up-and-beg" X-30 crossovers supplied with my (luuverly - and you can keep your expensive by comparison Velodynes) Servo's and a Denon poweramp we found the Stadium to integrate very well.

For real gains in subsonic performance it is going to cost you alot more than a pair of CHT 10's or a 15.

Multiple sub's in a medium to large area every time if you have the patience and ability to place them where they have to live to perform.

Why not another Stadium???

Steve.

3. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217

Steve..................

And a good day to you too.

Adzman

4. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Hey - each to their own - man (or something/whatever???)

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    To summarize, Steve advises you to stick with your REL as in his opinion it is the worst sounding of all the older RELs and in any event all subs sound the same to him.

6. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    The guy has 4 Servo 15's off course all subs sound the same to him.........

He's deaf :rotfl: :hiya:

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    For a less biased opjnion have a look at THX 1138's review when he exchanged his two REL Storms for a single CHT-15

8. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a couple of points here all IMO of course.

While multiple subs can sound great and have many positive points, among them, higher output, smoother room resonse (the later not always a certainty) a single sub will often be easier to integrate. 2 boxes (or more) mean worrying about room response of each in it's position and in relation to each other. One way (and there are many) of trying to avoid problems such as cancellation is by making sure the two (or more) subs are the same distance to the main listening position. This is often done by stacking. However, this method often forces corner positioning (not my cup of tea) but it can work sometimes. To be really fussy, it's not an ideal method as stacked subs will be at different heights again offering slightly different room response. Another way is either side of the centre which "is" my cup of tea providing the room response is acceptable for this placement. In a dedicated room, one can use acoustic treatments to "tailor" response and produce fine results. In domestic situations where treatments would mean divorce, electronic manipulation would be an alternative from companies such as Beringer, tact etc.

Anyway, here are Phils comments below.

A note here. Phil has since upgraded his main speakers via the M&K route.

9. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Ian J.
    Here we go again.
    The comparison should be between a Rel stadium NOT Storm and CHT whatever.

Now my friend i have spent time in my house with maybe 25 different sub's and would be inclined to say that i have a real idea of how a sub might perform.
    At NO time have i said Velodynes are "poor".
    In NO way am i biased - full stop!! I just report the results i have obtained from my OWN experiences not hearsay.

I realise that this is very much a Velodyne owners club but i am afraid that i sit in Nic Rhodes camp on this one.

If the guy wants to buy a CHT15 then i am sure he will be pleased.

Do not compare the Storms extension to the Stadium they are too different beasts.

10. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Info on the Behringer can be found in this thread : http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65603

Shameless plug I know :blush:

11. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Significant differences should of perhaps read significant improvements.
    There are certainly differences in performance terms between say the Quake and the Storm in areas such as gain and (alot smaller than you might imagine) in room extension but in terms of integration, and actual bass performance they all acted like Rel's do (very well).
    It would seem that what i am supposed to say here is:

Throw your Rel away and buy A.N.Other but if the A.N.Other is a CHT10/15 (the fact that they are Velodynes is irrelevant here) then i do not think there will be the sort of gains this chap may be hoping for, the Stadium 2 is still a proper sub unit by most other standards.

Ian

I grow tied of this but it is a recognised fact by anyone who knows about Rel's that the Stadium 2 was perhaps the least favourite ST model. This does not make it a bad sub, only perhaps by better Rel's.

I am happy to accept that a Velodyne sub is a well engineered and finished device and at no time have i offered advice against a purchase based on my dislike of Velodyne but on the options available to the query.

Steve.

I find your comments to be rude and not particularly helpful to anyone.

12. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, everytime the word "Velodyne" is mentioned in a thread that thread is condemned to a slow death :rolleyes:

Perhaps the swear filter should be extended to include the words "better", "velodyne", "inferior", "servo15", "rel" and "Originally posted by Ian J" :eek: :devil: :laugh:

13. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See it works already! :D

14. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    Well, my opinion.......

......:boring: ......

......oh who cares? You all know what I think..........:D

15. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't we just all get along??? :)

16. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    Feels the love:D

And whichever sub you buy, if you can't feel the bass, you know you bought the wrong one:devil:

17. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  18. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    Would agree with you there, except that I am sticking by my resolution to spend nothing on AV gear this year:nono:

19. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Consider it a donation to a good cause with the added advantage of a free scaler :rolleyes: Go on be a :devil:

20. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    ]]]

No:D