1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two centres, above and below screen?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by KraGorn, Jan 18, 2004.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have AE EVO 3s for fronts, EVO 1s for rears, with an EVO centre positioned so that the top of the cabinet is at the same level as the bottom of the screen itself (excluding frame).

Viewing my 92" diagonal WS fixed-frame screen from just over 1.5 distance I find myself distracted at times with dialogue because the sound so obviously comes from below the speaker's mouth. This effect has got worse since I upgraded the speakers from a set of Eltax Evolutions.

I'm wondering what the acoustic effects would be of putting a second centre, connected in series, above the screen. Clearly dialogue will be centralised vertically, what I'm not sure about is the effects on transient sounds which move across the audio image. Obviously there'll be a tendency for it to 'rise' in position as it goes from left to centre then 'fall' as it goes to the right .. question is will this be noticeable.

Buying a second centre to try is a bit excessive, I could try using one of my old Eltax rears, but of course the timbre would be entirely different and I don't know how much this would affect the effect.

Anyone any thoughts on this?

Ta.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you search carefully (it needs to be careful! :D) you will find i asked a very similar question some time ago. I cant actually find the thread hence i dont link you to it!

I think the jist of it was that it was a bad idea...... interference and such like being mooted as reason. However, since then I have learnt alot more. Whilst I can appreciate the downsides, the benefit may well outweigh...... but to be honest, the only way i would like to comment for sure would be by trying it.....

ad

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Cheers Buns, I did search using what I considered obvious words but when faced with loads of recent threads it gets kind of tedious going pack page after page. :)

I'll go on the hunt again, knowing now there is a needle somewhere in this haystack. :D

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont know how far back records go...... but would been im sure 18 months or longer back..... you might also try avs since this would be something more of them would try with their nonsensically large screens!

ad

5. thackl

thackl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kra Gorn,

I'm using two, below & above, and I'm very happy with this. I understand your concerns which are not an issue for me as I use the Yamaha front effects speakers which deliver a much larger area of sound in the front. Two center channels have been discussed at length in various threads here and AVSforum. One post suggested that measurements showed the amount of combfiltering is negligible.

I would suggest that you try it with the speaker you have to get an idea of what the sound movements are (left/right)

Cheers
    Tom

Pics
    http://members.optusnet.com.au/~thackl/gallery.html