• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Two centre speakers, one amp, is this suicide ?

N

Not A Clue

Hi Guys,

I have got KEFs and am not too happy with dialogue clarity when watching films. So my plan was to add a second centre speaker and wire it off the same amp which feeds my existing centre speaker.

I have only got a basic 5.1 sony amp (e.g. cost £150 brand new!) so was wondering whether this was safe to do and indeed if it was sensible (as two centre speakers would be coming of the one set of banana plugs on the amp :suicide:).

I plan to use my old mission fs1 centre speaker with my KEF (the kefs can incidentally be bi-wired).

Any help appreciated before I begin to burn down my house :rolleyes:

:lease:

Cynar

If you wire them both you will alter the nominal impedance potentially causing damage to your amplifier.
Even if your amp survives I imagine it would sound absolutely bloody awful.
Did it not occur to you that there's probably a good reason why you have never seen such a thing done?

FunkyMonkey

Don't do it. Make sure your speakers are all set to small, and that the crossover (if controllable) is set to 120Hz as a minimum. Maybe even 150Hz.

Then adjust the centre volume so it is higher. My old Sony 930 was a bugger for poor centre channel level so I had to boost it.

Cynar

Don't do it. Make sure your speakers are all set to small, and that the crossover (if controllable) is set to 120Hz as a minimum. Maybe even 150Hz.

Unless your speakers are incapable of reproducing frequencies of 150Hz or lower (which is most unlikely) do not set your crossover to 150Hz.
You get away with redirecting the lower frequencies to the subwoofer as the human ear finds it difficult to hear what direction they're coming from, but at 150Hz you'll hear that they're coming from your sub and not from whichever speaker they're supposed to be coming from.

D

Deleted member 30535

Or try without a center speaker. The amp should manage the dialogue equally between the fronts and appear to anchor the dialogue to the screen. Sometimes no speaker is better than a crappy one, particularly if your mains are reasonable.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom