1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two CD-player questions.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by dAvE6, Jul 19, 2002.

1. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. I left my new marantz CD6000 OSE to break in by playing a CD on repeat. Only, i didn't give it much space to breath and keep cool. So as a result it got VERY hot for about 3 hours before i moved it to a more sensible spot. If it was say 5 degrees hotter it would have hurt to touch. So...will this have damaged the sound quality at all? I'm probably being paranoid, but i just want to make sure. Bizzarrly i compared it to my toshiba 210 DVD player and i couldn't notice much difference! Is the difference really that profound? Maybe my ears aren't very trained yet(and the player isn't broken in yet either).

2. I've heard in reviews that this is one player that changes more than any other during the break in period. Do i need to have sound coming out of the amp for it to run in, or can i just leave it on silent with a CD on repeat?

Thanks.

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. Hmm, a CD player really shouldn't get too hot at all, seems a little odd. If it's still working it's unlikely you've actually damaged anything though.

2. If you're running in a CD player, it makes no difference if it's even connected to anything else or not.

3. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your quick reply again Juboy.

The reason it got so hot was because it was in a confined space on top of my amp, the weather was pretty hot as well and it had been on quite a while. Now i've moved it it's nothing more than 'slightly warm'. Everything is working fine, so i'm guessing there's no damage. It's just when i compared it to the dvd player sound quality, i expected an immidietly obvious difference. But perhaps my ears just need time to differentiate between an OK player and a very good player.

By the way, i popped in an eminem album last night(quite a difficult test of an amp/CD player, and it coped so well. Not once did i hear sloppy bass, over-excentuated treble, shouty vocals etc. It was beutifully smooth. Even with the DVD player it was well handled. It obviously shows how much of a step up my AMP is over that denon home cinema one.

Are there any particular CD's of your which are suprisingly nice to listen to?

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhh, it all becomes clearer now :)

Yeah, that would have done it. Most amps do run quite hot and with the CD player on top it would 'soak up' that heat. As a CD player does very little in terms of creating it's own heat it did sound a little worrying.

As for stuff that'll bring out the best in your system, what kind of music (very generally) are you into?

5. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well anything from bands like the flaming lips, idle wild, to eminem, to classical to miscelaneus stuff like Beth orton. But i was actually asking if there were any CD's YOU had put in which really struck you as being handled very well by the system.

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess, for different reason, all the following CDs seem to sound better than most in my system:

Nine Inch Nails - 'Pretty Hate Machine'
    Lene Marlin - 'Playing My Game'
    Agnelli & Nelson - 'Hudson Street'
    Jellyfish - 'Spilt Milk'
    Fun Loving Criminals - '100% Columbian'
    Bad Religion - 'Stranger Than Fiction'

Most harder dance CDs sound good through it too, but then I'd hope that to be the case as that's what I was building the system for primarily :)

7. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Rival Schools - 'United By Fate'
    System Of A Down - 'Toxicity'
    Sevendust - 'Animosity'
    Anything by Pantera or Metallica.