Two Cable Modems on one NTL Account?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by musoGuy, Jan 31, 2004.

1. musoGuy

musoGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have two cable modems and would like to use one upstairs on my PC, and one downstairs on my laptop. However, NTL only allow you to connect to one Cable Modem via the MAC address of the network card in the PC.

Does anyone know if I can connect the two modems up?....I have heared that it can be done with a router???

Any help will be tops!

Mike.

2. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Not certain about using two cable modems.

I've got my laptop and desktop configured with wireless network cards, so I can go anywhere in the house (heck, even outside for a while) with the laptop and still be able to access the desktop and the net.

The cost of WiFi kit is fairly reasonable these days, suggest that might be a better option.

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    You need a router that "spoofs" the Mac Address, which is nearly all cable/ADSL routers.

This will be easy if you have a Ethernet modem rather than a USB one, in which case your choose of router may be extremely limited or you may even have to replace it with an Enternet one.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/ will be able to help you out, go to Broadband Routers section and there are helpful instructions for novices.

StooMonsters

4. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Spoofing the MAC address will make no difference here. This was only useful for BlueYonder when they would only allow connection to one PC at a time, and you used the router to spoof the MAC address of the original PC that was registered with the cable modem.
    The connection to a CM is via co-axial cable, not ethernet, and the MAC address of the CM is what is used to complete your connection. If you add a second CM it would not operate unless you registerd its MAC address, then the first one stops working!

As suggested a simple or wireless router will distribute the internet through your house quite happily. I use NTL and have 7 pc's networked to it with no probs at all

5. musoGuy

musoGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I assume that you have to have one main PC on at all times to share the connection?

6. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    No, certainly not.
    Connect the CM to the router via ethernet cable. Each PC has its own cable (or wireless card) running to the router. You can have the router set to assign IP addresses automatically, or choose fixed ones for each PC.

7. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You could setup either a wired or wireless network between your laptop and your desktop then set the pc with the NTL modem for Internet connection sharing, and setup the laptop to access the Internet through another PC.

This works a treat I have this setup on my NTL system.:)

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Just get router either PC can access internet any time together or independantly Router £40 ish Wireless £50 2 wireless cards £30 done!

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    LINKSYS BEFW11S4 and maplin PCMCIA card £13 Router from dabs or ebuyer simple mate.