1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two budgets... but which systems?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Matthew Attoe, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

My wife wants to buy a new stereo, probably in the sales, consisting of CD player, amp, tuner (digital, preferably) and speakers. I already have some half-decent interconnects and speaker cable.The speakers will be placed against a wall on a laminate floor.

She has a budget of around £500ish and is looking for a small-sized system (about the size of the TEAC Reference 500, which she likes already). Would systems would you recommend we look at.

Now, if i were to boost the budget to about £1,000, what should we be looking at?

I appreciate that the equipment needs listening too, but we just need some pointers on where to start.

What on-line retailers would you recommend, as this may well make her/our money go further.

Merry christmas,

Matthew

2. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hey matthew,

Get a copy of January's What Hi-Fi where they have looked at music systems built using same brand seperates, on varying budgets...

The Cambridge Audio system came top, which consisted off:

Cambridge Azur 640c CD player £250 (Richer Sounds)
    Cambridge Azur 640a amplifier £250 (Richer Sounds)
    Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers £180 (HiFiBlitz)

Comes to £680. If you want to save £100, you can get the 540c/540a versions of the above...

Then you can add the award winning Cambridge DAB500 digital tuner £150 (Richer Sounds). Or if you listen to the radio regularily then try the highly praised Pure Digital DRX-701 £190 (empiredirect)

The new Azur range is beautiful (so it will please the wife), as are the B2's...

All three online dealers I have mentioned are very well known. I personally buy everything from EmpireDirect, and get some stuff from Richer Sounds while out shopping.

If you have a local Richer Sounds, ask them for a demo of the above.

3. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.

Believe it or not, I did buy the what Hi-fi issue you mention, and will certainly be checking the Azur range.

I have a Richer Sounds and a Sevenoaks in the city, as well as an independent supplier, so we will be certainly be checking them out.

Again, thanks for replying,

Matthew

4. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Your welcome :)

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    If you are looking for somehting fairly discrete then you can pick up a Linn Classik from Sevenoaks for £750. Partnered with the Quad 11Ls it sounds great.