Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Two amps one speaker pair

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by amoss, Jan 2, 2005.

1. amoss

amoss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering adding an av amp to my current set up. However I would like to keep my current amp for two channel use. The problem is I would like to share the front speakers between both amps. Is running two sets of wires to the speakers at all feasible. I guess the extra cable length should not cause obvious sonic problems (or am I missing something?)for the speakers. But is the output from one amp likely to cause problems for the other?

Amos

2. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    You could consider something like the Yamaha DSPE800. This is an add on processor which lets your current amp run your current speaker pair as front l/r (via a pre-out) and then processes the signal and provides amplification for the centre and rear l/r, as well as a subwoofer out.

That's exactly what I've just invested in, by the way. The E800 is a few years old and recently discontinued by Yamaha but gets very good reviews on this forum. Also a few shops are still selling off old stock and second hand ones come around periodically. It is a 5.1 processor and due to its age doesn't handle the newest things like Pro Logic II, but for £165 new, what do you expect?!

The reason I decided to go this route was that AV processor amps which are as good as my 2-channel amp are £1000+, this lets you get 5.1 sound for about £500 including rear, centre and sub speakers (if you play your cards right)!

Realise this doesn't exactly answer your question, but hope you find this a useful alternative.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    The other alternative is to use an AV amp that has pre-outs and use your existing stereo amp as normal with the AV amp just handling centre and rear duties.