Two amps one set of speakers

Chalklands

Hi,
I currently have two separate systems: Music streamer and CD player connected to Arcam alpha 10 & 10P amps, output to Castle Severn speakers. I also have an AV receiver (Cambridge CXR120) connected to surround sound speakers. What I want to do is use the Castle Severns in both systems (normal stereo in Hifi setup and front L/R in the AV setup). What is the best way of doing this? Preferably with a remote control to switch between the two. Any suggestions?

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
As the alpha 10 does not have a processor mode and the Cambridge does not have pre-outs then you needs a two in, one out speaker switch. The Beresford one below is often quoted on here, other are available though of differing quality.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
I have the Beresford. It is expensive for what it is, but it's well built and will live as long as you do!

Shame they don't do an IR model, as I'm forever forgetting to press the correct speaker selection button.

gibbsy

You need a speaker switcher such as the Beresford 7220. Connect both front speaker wires from both amps to the switcher with the speakers connected just to the Beresford. It's a manual A or B operation, but it is a quality switcher.

Home HiFi Beresford 7220

gibbsy

Double posted thread. @Ugg10 got in before me so threads have been merged.

Chalklands

Thank you for your responses. Sounds like the solution.

I presume you just connect the current speaker cables from the amps into the Beresford and run new cable from the Beresford to the single set of speakers?

Jamie

Distinguished Member
As the alpha 10 does not have a processor mode and the Cambridge does not have pre-outs then you needs a two in, one out speaker switch. The Beresford one below is often quoted on here, other are available though of differing quality.

While it's a moot point if the Cambridge doesn't have preouts the Alpha 10 does have a processer mode using the tape inputs, that's the standard 10 at least, the Dave module disables the functionality and I'm not sure about the other expansion options

gibbsy

I presume you just connect the current speaker cables from the amps into the Beresford and run new cable from the Beresford to the single set of speakers?
Yes, very simple to set up and use.

Chalklands

I'm still not entirely clear. Currently I am bi-amping the Castles which are bi-wireable using the 10 & 10P so I have 8 speaker cable outputs (4 per amp) to the Castles. I presume this means I can't connect to the Beresford? Sorry if this is a dumb question to raise.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I'm still not entirely clear. Currently I am bi-amping the Castles which are bi-wireable using the 10 & 10P so I have 8 speaker cable outputs (4 per amp) to the Castles. I presume this means I can't connect to the Beresford? Sorry if this is a dumb question to raise.
Not dumb at all, you're quite correct the Beresford wouldn't be suitable for A bi-amped setup.

I'm surprised the Cambridge doesn't have at least L&R pre-outs as that would be the ideal setup, Cambridge are Hi-Fi focussed so surprised integrating it with a stereo setup wasn't a consideration.

gibbsy

With bi-amping your are really asking about three amps not just two. Although you can bi-wire (why would you) with the Beresford bi-amping is not possible with a single unit.

bodas73

I use the Beresford, great piece of kit. I bought direct from them for about £87 no sound quality loss that I can determine

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom