1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two amplifiers... one set of speakers... is there a danger in wiring it all together?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by buro9, Oct 27, 2005.

1. buro9

buro9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yes... I am considering it.

Basically I have a pair of Monitor Audio S8's, and these are currently bi-wired to an Arcam A3 amp.

I recently purchased the Sonic T amp... and it has really impressed me. Such that I want to use it as my amp from my iRiver mp3 player... but still have the music come out of the S8's.

However the Sonic T doesn't out-perform the Arcam everywhere, so I still want to use that for CD player, record deck, etc.

So what I effectively want to do is wire BOTH amplifiers to the ONE set of speakers.

Probably by putting the bi-wire clips back on the speakers to make them single-wired again... and then one end of the bi-wire goes to the Arcam and one to the T-Amp. And only turning on one or the other amp at a time.

Question is... is this just the dumbest thing ever? Am I going to blow my Arcam amp by having the speaker outputs receive signal when the amp is turned off?

Is there a better way to approach this... the aim is simply to have a permanently wired solution to two amps driving one set of speakers :)

Advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

David

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    This is a very, very bad idea. You will most likely end up destroying the output stages on both of your amps and ending up with very inefficient and bad sounding speakers.

The easiest way to get around this is to get a speaker switcher, most electronics stores sell them - try Keene Electronics online or maybe Superfi if they still sell the QED models. :)

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Agree with EJ.
    Another thing, are the t amps really powerful enough to drive MA speakers. I know they are sensitive but...

4. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Do you know how this is likely to affect the sound?

I am looking to do the same thing as buro9, but for a different reason. I want to drive my main front speakers from my surround amp and stereo amp. I don't want to use the pre-outs from the surround amp as the stereo amp has a very different sound.

If possible, I would like to get away from using two sets of speakers!

5. buro9

buro9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds fab... I'm quite shocked that the little $30 thing is making the music come to life as much as it is and managing to drive the MA's without really breaking a sweat.

But yes, I suspected I would be doing damage, hence my posting here before just going ahead ;) I shall look at either buying or making a switch to do manage it for me... and hell, if I'm doing that I might as well remain bi-wired from the Arcam, and at this price buy another t-amp to be bi-amped for that :)

6. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The t-amps are astonishing given their price & size. I think everyone should try one :)

I've just upgraded to it's bigger brother, and am hugely impressed. I demo'd it to a friend just after I'd built it - he'd ordered one himself by the end of the evening, and his Rotel is now looking for a new home.

7. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Yes, have to say the T Amp I heard sounded great on some small sensitive speakers. I think they were Yamaha Studio Monitors. They ran out of grunt almost instantly on some 86DB stand monitors. But I have to say at low volumes it was a very nice sound. The beefier version certainly looks more interesting.
    I have to say though In a small room with sensitive speakers the T Amp is a 'no brainer'.