• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Two ADSL Routers on 1 Connection?

jezzer256

Established Member
Can this be done? I have a spare router and need ethernet in the lounge. Can I simply plug this router into the phone line in the lounge and have two ADSL routers running at once?

Otherwise I guess it's either the mains-internet jobby or running a long cable through the house...

Jez

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Depends on what exactly you are trying to achieve.

You can't share the same broadband connection on the same line

You could certainly have the two routers running independently. i.e main one is off the other one is on when you need to access the internet from the lounge. You would just need the same username settings in both routers and only one on a time. (I think with Sky they are hardcoded)

If its a wireless router you can often configure them as a wireless bridge where by it talks wirelessly to your main router and allows anything connected to its network connections to access the main network. This obviously depends on if you get a good enough wireless signal from one router to the other through the various walls in your house.

This would allow say a games console and media centre in the lounge to connect to the rest of the network and the internet. The quaility of signal though would determine the speed and whether it would be suitable for your needs.

Wired is always the best to go for speed and reliability but involves long cables or lots of drilling :)

jezzer256

Established Member
Cheers guys. This wireless bridge thing sounds interesting.

How do I go about setting it up with a Sky Broadband Connect router and a Netgear D834g?

Jez

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
Cheers guys. This wireless bridge thing sounds interesting.

How do I go about setting it up with a Sky Broadband Connect router and a Netgear D834g?
Most routers can't be converted to Wireless Bridges. However some Netgears can and some (earlier ones) can't. Go to 192.168.0.1 and look though the menus if you have one that can you'll find it amongst the menus. If it isn't there you can't do it.

The easiest way to get Ethernet in the lounge is to use Homeplugs.

Last edited:

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Most routers can't be converted to Wireless Bridges. However some Netgears can and some (earlier ones) can't. Go to 192.168.0.1 and look though the menus if you have one that can you'll find it amongst the menus. If it isn't there you can't do it.

It does vary 3 out of the 4 routers I owned could be converted to a bridge.

The easiest way to get Ethernet in the lounge is to use Homeplugs.

Yep forgot about those new fangled things ;) Now why hadn't they invented those when I spent ages taking the floor boards up to run CAT5 :(

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom