1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TwinHan VP1030a for Euro1080 in Irdeto2?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Abstrakt, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Abstrakt

Abstrakt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Does anyone use this particular card for receiving and decrypting Euro1080, in conjunction with an Irdeto 2 CAM?

I’ve been looking for a DVB card to replace my trusty SkyStar 2, which sadly lacks a CI slot. The other likely candidate would be a Hauppauge WinTV Nova-CI, but from what I’ve read it looks like there is more third party support out there for TwinHan cards.

Any comments would be appreciated. :)

Cheers.

2. camtheman

camtheman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everyone seems to be chucking away their Skystar 2s at the thought of losing access to Euro1080. I won't be, as apparently there is a way to keep my Skystar2 as well as being able to use cards with it. There appears to be some sort of interface called a Phoenix/Smart Mouse unit that plugs into a serial port that can read official cards and can be used with a Skystar thereby giving the SS2 the ability to read cards.
    What's even better is you don't have to buy a CAM for each individual encryption system - they're all available as software plugins!
    As far as I know this is all legit as all the unit does is read official cards.
    I haven't bought a Phoenix interface yet, but I'll be doing soon.

Advantages: Much cheaper than throwing away my SS2 and cheaper because I don't have to buy a CAM for each encryption system.

Disadvantages: Software plugins possibly not as robust as hardware CAMs. Not as good looking as an all-in-one unit as you'll have this ugly looking device that looks like it belongs in an 80's electronics shop sticking out of your PC.

3. Abstrakt

Abstrakt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Camtheman,

I know about Poor Man’s Cam, as it is called. It is a plugin allowing the use of a programmer in Phoenix mode, acting as a card reader, to emulate most types of CAM. Hopefully I'm not violating this forum's policy by mentioning it, since it doesn't involve any "cracking" or unauthorized viewing; it still requires a legal subscription.

You've been misguided however if you think that it would work with Euro1080. The extremely high bitrate of an HDTV channel means there is also a huge number of EMM packets in the datastream, which have to be processed by the plugin. Doing this via software, and decoding High Def MPEG-2 video on top of that, would require far more CPU power than is presently available on the market.

So my original question still stands: if anyone has any experience with a TwinHan VP1030a please come forward. :)