Twin VGA outputs

henry1234

Established Member
Reaction score
How do you manage using a HTPC with a normal monitor and a PJ. Is it a case of swapping the vga lead each time you use a different display device or are there any products to solve this?

I think I may be in the same boat. I am not sure whether the PJ will have enough res to allow me to do my work. I am sure there must be a switchbox which will allow you to use 2 monitors for 1 pc... I know that there is a switch box to allow 2 computers to share a single monitor, maybe that might work

Hi, a switch box is one answer or alternatively put the money towards a dual head graphics card. If your graphics needs are modest then a Radeon 9000 dual head is around £50 and runs a projector and separate monitor no problem even at different resolutions if needed.

Cheers, Phil

Dual head can be a bit tricky since you normally need a primary display and secondary running at the same time so that you know where your mouse is. The secondary usually has only basic features ie. crappy 3D, etc...

Yes, it can be a bit naff. I bought a dual head Radeon 7000 for this very reason, but the video overlay only works on the primary screen, so you end up having the main screen up on the PJ anyway. I've found I only use a monitor for tinkering sessions, so I do swap it with the PJ connection when I need it - other times it gets moved out of the way to keep the WAF up.

I found a product on videkonline that converts dvi to vga for about £10.

It seems all cards now have VGA and DVI, with one of these I can use the DVI as a second vga.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom