Twin Tuner PVR - going round in circles

A

alex3867

Hi, ive spent a while looking at some lower end (around £150) twin tuner PVRs and i just can't seem to make the final decision. All I need is
a quiet twin tuner
with EPG
a bit o space (40GB is ample)
plus subtitle record capability
(oh one more thing :) RGB pass through would be an added bonus).
is there anyone out there who could recomend the buy?
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks
Alex

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to see some experience from the Inverto before recommending it as to its stability. After all, it was only after some time that it came to light that the "full of promise" Humax freezes up occasionally, and has even been known to wipe its Hard Disk of all contents when it feels like it.

hodg100

Distinguished Member
LV426 said:
I'd like to see some experience from the Inverto before recommending it as to its stability. After all, it was only after some time that it came to light that the "full of promise" Humax freezes up occasionally, and has even been known to wipe its Hard Disk of all contents when it feels like it.

Well I've had one since last July and it's missed only one recording which was probably down to a signal issue. I also moderate on Inverto Forum where the vast majority of the 500ish owners are very happy by and large:)

It is an extremely quiet machine that IMHO looks better than the competition.

N

N.ick

I haven't had an inverto long - but despite some known problems (e.g.PIP) seems to work fine. Looked at all comments on the fusuion etc and was a bit concerned especially about the noise and need to leave the units switched on permenently and was almost going to go the other end of the market and get a topfiield - but then looked at the inverto and seemd to fill most if not all of needs PLUS no real big issues seemed to be raised about them.

What I especially like about it is that it is quiet and can be switched off at night if you want and the EPG won't be lost. Has got itself into a tis once and needed to reboot (probably user trying to consufe it!) and one night froze while down loading the EPG ( but the old one was still there) - but this can happen with any processor based thing now-a-days !!

The main bug-bear is the response of the remote which has to be pointed directly at the box ( but then others apparantly do bnot have this problem).

As a first time buy it is better than expected - especially considering all the problems re the other machines that seem to be raised.

AndyFov

Inverto Forum where the vast majority of the 500ish owners are very happy by and large

I'm happy and large. I refute the other allegation.

Thumbs up for the Inverto from me too. It's a great machine, very reliable. One gripe is it's not overly intuitive to use, for instance when viewing files from the library you press the play button to play, and when selecting from the record list you press the tick instead. It doesn't take too long to get used to it, I'd not be without mine - Just best to forewarn you it doesn't always react in the way you'd expect it to.

It's a good forum, with a very helpful and enthusiastic user base. Was £180 in Boots last time I looked, there's poss vouchers floating around that'll get the OP closer to the £150 budget.

HTH

Andy

ROYOLD

N.ick said:
I haven't had an inverto long - but despite some known problems (e.g.PIP) seems to work fine. Looked at all comments on the fusuion etc and was a bit concerned especially about the noise and need to leave the units switched on permenently issues seemed to be raised about them.

What I especially like about it is that it is quiet and can be switched off at night if you want and the EPG won't be lost. Has got itself into a tis once and needed to reboot (probably user trying to consufe it!) and one night froze while down loading the EPG ( but the old one was still there) - but this can happen with any processor based thing now-a-days !!

The main bug-bear is the response of the remote which has to be pointed directly at the box ( but then others apparantly do bnot have this problem).

As a first time buy it is better than expected - especially considering all the problems re the other machines that seem to be raised.

No the fusions are not unduly noisy and NO you do not have to have them switched on all the time. I have the 145 and the 150 and they are both switched off at the mains when not in use. They do NOT lose the epg, they do NOT lose the library of recordings and they DO NOT lose any set recordings or other info. Of course - if you have set a recording for a certain time in the future then you do have to make sure that the machine is left in standby for this recording to take place

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
...and at the risk of sounding like a stuck record,

one thing the Fusions don't do is lock up or otherwise fail to record and playback what you ask of them. They aren't free of glitches, but none of them is fatal, ever (unless you use the compression feature - so, don't).

You actually can't say this about Humax or Inverto from what I read.

AndyFov

I've had no problems with my Inverto of that nature at all. I've mover to that, having been a Pace Twin user previously, so I know all about glitches. :D

A

alex3867

looks like im swaying towards the inverto :) but if the my bank says a no no might go for a fusion 145 :rolleyes: either way i think im pretty determined on the inverto, going to have a scout around. appreciate all the discussion and the inputs from other owners. thankyou :thumbsup:

Paul Shirley

N.ick said:

Same problem with the Humax 9200. I'm getting to be a contortionist trying to aim past the coffee table.

AndyFov

As I mentioned above, the Inverto is on offer at Boot.com for £180 - you should be able to get a further £10 off with voucher code TRCJ99

A

alex3867

HGYU23 gets £15 off! :thumbsup: Inverto for 164.99 delivered woohoo! ps thanks andy for suggesting boots. wouldnt have thought of them yet turns out after surfing cheapest (i can find) online!

hodg100

Distinguished Member
LV426 said:
...and at the risk of sounding like a stuck record,

one thing the Fusions don't do is lock up or otherwise fail to record and playback what you ask of them. They aren't free of glitches, but none of them is fatal, ever (unless you use the compression feature - so, don't).

You actually can't say this about Humax or Inverto from what I read.

Where are you getting your info on the Inverto from LV?

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Inverto forum bugs list said:
Missed/failed or short recordings
Loss of Library and Record List
Chase playing a recording can cause the recording to fail - possibly related to "Missed/failed or short recordings"
and elsewhere in that and the Digital Spy forums.

hodg100

Distinguished Member
LV426 said:
and elsewhere in that and the Digital Spy forums.

Oh OK, but in balance these have only ever affected a very small number of users. I think if Fusion had it's own dedicated Forum there would be a similar number of bugs reported by a similar number of users.

As you have said no PVR is perfect but if I had my time again I would have bought a Topfield :)

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
There ARE bugs in the Fusion 200 (and others) software. Accepting that all these things (sadly) have some bugs, the way I judge them is by the extent to which they may be unavoidably fatal to a recording. And none of the known bugs in the Fusions are unavoidably fatal.

Whereas random software lockups and/or hard drive wipes are. Even if they aren't frequent, it means you can't rely on the machine to, say, record you every episode of {place your own essential viewing here} while you're on holiday.

It's on this basis that my current recommendations (based on what I read) are Fusion and Topfield only.

AndyFov

It's is a bit of a minefield, I admit I am shamelessly biased towards the Inverto as I'm pleased with mine, and it's yet to let me down.

Speaking from the experience I had with the Pace Twin previously, that went from being a robust reliable machine to a complete nightmare back and forth with each over the air firmware update. So, it's always worth noting how many complaints there are with the current software. Archived gripes about bugs long since ironed out can easily mislead.

hodg100

Distinguished Member
LV426 said:
There ARE bugs in the Fusion 200 (and others) software. Accepting that all these things (sadly) have some bugs, the way I judge them is by the extent to which they may be unavoidably fatal to a recording. And none of the known bugs in the Fusions are unavoidably fatal.

Whereas random software lockups and/or hard drive wipes are. Even if they aren't frequent, it means you can't rely on the machine to, say, record you every episode of {place your own essential viewing here} while you're on holiday.

It's on this basis that my current recommendations (based on what I read) are Fusion and Topfield only.

..but the Fusion 200 is still prone to wiping the hard drive when compression has been used as much as the Inverto. Random s/ware lock ups on the Inverto are very rare indeed. Personally, I put FVRT200 and Inverto on equal footing behind the class leading Topfield.

Just my 2p:)

rhubarbe

And at the end of the day most things on Freeview are repeated so often that to miss a recording is maybe not the end of the world.

J

jamesferry

I am an inverto convert. I first bought my Fusion FVRT200 in Sep 2005. The unit which was brand new, screen frozen as soon as I powered it on and wouldn't go past the first screen. Contacted Fusion, they accepted it to be faulty so returned and got another brand new unit. All was fine. Last week this fusion' s screen also froze and wouldn't respond to factory reset. Contacted Fusion, accepted it as faulty and they told me to take it back to the retailer and get a new one under warranty. The retailer I bought from agreed to replace the unit with an Inverto as they no longer stock the FVRT200. Got the Inverto and I am now a convert. It does all the tricks fusion does and has Picture in picture as well.

Paul Shirley

rhubarbe said:
And at the end of the day most things on Freeview are repeated so often that to miss a recording is maybe not the end of the world.
...most of them not worth recording to start with!

However I'm still seriously annoyed at my Humax 9200 recording all 3 episodes of "Perfect Strangers" back in Jan, only to 'vanish' episode 2 before I could watch it. Or the way it just magically resurrected it last weekend, throwing away a new recording in the process. A great machine if you want to watch programmes in an enforced random order 0 to 6 weeks timeshifted!

Likely to be a few years before another season of Poliakov repeats :(

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022