Twin Tuner Freeview PVR Advice Req'd

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by adodd, Oct 1, 2005.

Tags:
  1. adodd

adodd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, I need some advice as to the best route to go to improve my freeview recording capabilities.

I am currently using a Thomson DTI-1000 STB and a Panasonic DMR-E95H HDD/DVD recorder that I bought recently. I normally record programs using the 'external link' function of the Panasonic recorder.

I want to get round not being able to watch another freeview channel whilst recording onto the Paansonic. I have figured that I can either get a second single-tuner freeview box (cheap) or a twin-tuner PVR (not so cheap, but I need a tuner for the TV upstairs and could use the Thomson for this).

I am considering the Fusion FVRT100 as the price seems to be pretty reasonable, but the drive capacity is small compared to the 160Gb of the Panasonic, hence a couple of questions:

- From what I have read, the Fusion routes the signal to be recorded to the internal drive and the routes the second tuner to the output. Is it possible to send the signal from one tuner to the TV and the signal from the other to the Panasonic recorder?
    - Does anyone know if the HDD's in the Panasonic and Fusion units could be swapped?
    - Would I be better off just buying two cheaper single-tuner STB's, rather than going for the neater appearrance of a twin-tuner unit?
    - Is there a better way of watching a second freeview channel whilst recording onto the Panasonic HDD?

Thanks,
    Adrian

2. multiply

multiply

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Don't know if this helps, but after 5 solid days of serious research of reviews, opinion, comments, etc I have finally gone for the Humax 9200T. Feature and connectivity-wise it certaunly seems to beat the rest.

All I've probably done now is confused you more... :(

3. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi multiply

Might very well be the best current option but as no consumers have actually got their hands on this yet I would wait a few weeks to see how it goes. I would be interested to know what the superior feature and connectivity options are. I have not had time to go through the online manual yet.

Thanks Richard

4. Londonman

Londonman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Reading the Humax webpage it suggests that you can transfer MPEG A/V between the 9200 and a PC...BUT...in the user manual available on the web, I can't see any reference to how to get any MPEG out of the 9200 and into the PC.

Worth investigating further ?

5. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Topfield 5800 definately can transfer recordings from STB to PC, and can have new functionality added via user developed programs (TAPs).

6. Londonman

Londonman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Interesting..but as I said..I can't find any reference in the Humax User Manual for the 9200 that is available on the web on how you can transfer TO a PC...which IMHO is an important requirement.