twin tuner dvd recorders

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tiger3176, Jul 25, 2004.

1. tiger3176

tiger3176

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, can anyone tell me if there are any twin tuner dvd recorders on the market so that you can record 2 programs at the same time? Sorry if it's a silly question, but I'm new to all this. I know you can get Sky +, but I want to be able to copy stuff onto a disc. Thanks in advance for any help. :)

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    The Panasonic E75 DVDR/VCR combo has twin (analogue) tuners enabling you to record onto DVDR and VHS at the sametime - but I assume this isn't what you meant.

There are rumours that we will see a twin DVB DVD recorder next year but nothing has been announced yet.

3. tiger3176

tiger3176

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It wasn't what I meant, but now you mention it, would you recommend this machine? Does it sacrifice quality in order to have two functions. If anybody has used this recorder I would much appreciate any feed back about it as I can't find much anywhere else. Thank for your time. :)

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Well I would always recommend seperates, i.e. a seperate DVDR and seperate VCR. But the combos do have some benefits, i.e. easy dubbing between the two, only one box under the TV, ability to watch VHS in progressive scan (!).

Panasonic and JVC both have VCR/DVDR models out:

Panasonic E75:
    http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2581
    http://www.avland.co.uk/panasonic/dmre75v/dmr-e75v.htm

JVC DRMV1:
    http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2564

The JVC hasn't been reviewed yet by any of decent magazines (What Video, Home Cinema Choice etc) but the Panasonic got favourable reviews. It hasn't been uploaded to the website yet though.

No.

5. cazzie

cazzie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    l have the JVC DRMV1 and find it a good machine. I am still ploughing through the book but have recorded on the DVD and played it back through my Philips home theatre system and it was great (you can record in Dolby Digital). I thought the fan was a bit noisy at first but have since moved the machine and don't really notice it now.

6. p63b

p63b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New poster, please be gentle...

I’d like to start recording on DVD, but as I still want to be able to play video tapes (as well as transfer the odd tape to DVD) I’m looking to replace my VCR with a combined VCR/DVD recorder. (I don’t want to add another box as my Tivo/ Freeview (Netgem)/Panasonic VCR/ LG DVD home cinema system is complicated enough for me!) Twin tuners looks to be a useful feature, although as a newbie to DVD recording, I’m not too sure about formats.

The JVC DRM-V1 and the Panasonic DMR-E75VEB both look good. Does anyone have any thoughts that might sway me one way or the other? (For instance, would the Panasonic recognise the Tape Library info from tapes recorded on my current Panny VCR? And would the JVC let me record in –RW, knock out adverts and finalise in –R for use on other players, while the Panasonic wouldn’t?)

Alternatively, is there any other manufacturer I should be considering with a model around the same price?

All thoughts gratefully received.

Patrick

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    If you want a VCR/DVDR I would limit your choice to the JVC or Panasonic personnally - the Bush isn't a bad machine but if you budget can stretch to the others then your going to get a significantly better product.

You might want to checkout the Home Cinema Choice review of the Panasonic E75. The JVC and Bush reviews don't seem to have been uploaded yet unfortnately.

8. p63b

p63b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I'd seen the Panasonic review but haven't seen a review of the JVC anywhere. Is it available in print anywhere?

Patrick