1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Twin sub question

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Majik, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Majik

Majik
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm finally moving the front room around so i have a decent HC placement available to me. I have 6 Boston Micro 90x and a 90c as a centre, plus a KEF PSW2000 as my sub. Now I now some people don't rate the Egg sub, but I live in a first floor maisonette and so have neighbours to think about - it moves air nicely without being too mad, and fills in the void from the Bostons quite well. But I gag for more, naturally. So what are the thoughts of you fine experts on a second PSW2000 sub? The bass in the room is pretty god, but it doesn't quite "hit" like it should for my liking. The room isn't that big (15' x 9'), but Kef subs tend to be pretty cheap second hand (80-100) and I am never going to be able to use a CHT or anything like that due to space and sound restrictions. Ideas? Opinions? Come on Smurf - you're a twin sub man - does it fill that last void in your room?

Majik

2. DSM

DSM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have two servo 15's and for me two work better than 1, others will tell you its a waste of time.
    Get another sub and see for yourself.

Dave

3. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,165
    Majik

You need to be aware of a couple of things with twin subs.

Firstly, they can be a nightmare to setup: in a word, bass is a bitch to control (in my experience), and often adding a sub can just cause more headaches i.e cancelling each other out, not integrating as well etc

However, that said, twin subs can offer the following benefits:

Greater headroom at lower frequencies. As you probably know, as the sub gets towards the end of it's capabilities the sound "rolls off": the db will decrease until there is no perceivable output. Also as a sub does reach the end of its capabilities, you'll find that if your settings are wrong, you can "bottom" the sub out (and that ain't nice:().

Adding another sub will mean that without being driven too hard, they will output more db @ a lower frequency, with less distortion.
    This should result in the appearance of a more solid, cleaner sound that maintains composure at higher volume levels.

What is DOESN'T equate to is more bass: it simply doesn't work like that.

Believe me I'm no expert (I found 2 REL Storms impossible to setup in my old living room although that was a while ago), people like Steve.EX and The Beekeeper are much more knowledgeable than me.

People, feel free to correct me if I've got anything above wrong.....:)

Cheers
    Matt

4. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have two subs placed one behind each front speaker, when I switch one off, the bass kind of colapses, fills less the room, comes from one direction... :nono:

So, two are better than one, at least setup this way, still one significantelly better should be better than two worst... :rolleyes:

5. 64kym

64kym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use and prefer two subs, to avoid cancelation issues they are stacked one on top of the other.

6. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Two subs symetrical will cancel the odd order standing waves, maybe you get less output, but cleaner... :smoke:

7. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found the same, but only with reflex loaded subwoofers. With closed subs I got almost no difference (Subs 0,5m behind speakers and 0,75m from the wall)

Antonio, welcome back, I hope someone realized to be wrong.

8. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Plump,

Yes, someone realized that... ;)

Mine are closed boxes, right behind the base of the stands of the speakers, 40 cms from front window, 60 from side wall, still it makes a nice difference... :confused:

[​IMG]