Twin Peaks Season 2 Gets A UK Release !

soundstory

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just spotted this.........

TWIN PEAKS – SEASON 2 OUT ON 2ND FEBRUARY 2010

The wait is over - without question the most eagerly anticipated Season 2 DVD release of all time is about to occur with the 2nd February 2010 release of TWIN PEAKS SEASON 2.

Universal Playback – The Home of Cult TV - has just penned a deal to premiere Season 2 on DVD on the UK Region 2 format.

Twin Peaks is an American television show created by David Lynch, Academy Award® nominated director for (Best Director) The Elephant Man (1980), Blue Velvet (1986) and Mulholland Drive (2001). He was named the best director in The Guardian's 'The world's 40 best directors' in 2008.
The show aired in the US in 1990 – 1991 becoming one of its top-rated shows, a critical success both nationally and internationally. Reflecting its devoted cult fan base, the series became a part of popular culture, referenced in other television shows, commercials, comic books, a video game, films and song lyrics. Twin Peaks was ranked on TV Guide magazine's 2002 "Top 25 cult shows" at No. 20, and one of the "Top 50 Television Programs of All Time" by the same guide at No. 45. In 2007, Channel 4 (UK) ranked Twin Peaks #9 on their list of the "50 Greatest TV Dramas". Also that year, Time included the show on their list of the "100 Best TV Shows of All-Time".

The series follows the investigation, headed by Special Agent Dale Cooper (Kyle MacLachlan – Blue Velvet, Sex and the City, Desperate Housewives), of the brutal murder of a popular teenager and homecoming queen, Laura Palmer (Sheryl Lee – One Tree Hill, Dirty Sexy Money).

Notable guest appearances include Kiefer Sutherland, David Bowie, Heather Graham (Annie Blackburn), Billy Zane (John Justice Wheeler), David Duchovny (DEA Agent Dennis) and of course the creator himself David Lynch (FBI Regional Bureau Chief Gordon Cole).

Season 1 was released on DVD in the UK in 2001 and is consistently in Universal Playback’s best-sellers list, year in year out. It has sold 109,000 units since its release. Season 2 has since been released on DVD in the US, Australia and Germany but not in the UK, until now!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Blu-Ray would be nice. If only to cut down on the number of discs.

About damn time!

No doubt any news on any BR version will appear nearer the time I think, but until/if then, this is still a must have DVD. In fact could well be my first new DVD ( as opposed to BR ) I would have bought for getting on for a year by the time it comes out!

Completely out there, but remember it so fondly. Not even re-watched the first series as I was waiting for the second one to come out, so it's been a long wait!!!

That has to be some kind of record. 9 years between the release of the first and second season?! Was there ever a reason for that? I'm glad I took to importing year ago.

That has to be some kind of record. 9 years between the release of the first and second season?! Was there ever a reason for that? I'm glad I took to importing year ago.
from Twin Peaks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ...
The pilot episode, first shown on TV in the US, was released on home video in Europe in 1989. The European version is 20 minutes longer than the TV pilot, with a different ending added to bring closure to the story. The Red Room dream sequence that ends episode two, where Cooper encounters the Man from Another Place and Laura Palmer, was originally shot for this film. Lynch was so happy with the material that he incorporated part of it into the second episode of the regular series (that is, the third episode shown in the U.S., including the pilot) as a dream Cooper has about the case (at the start of episode three, Cooper gives a scene-by-scene account of the European ending, including references to events seen only in the international pilot and not the dream-sequence version, such as MIKE shooting BOB). This version of the pilot was also offered by Warner Home Video in the United States, resulting in a rights-entanglement which prevented the broadcast version of the pilot being released for a number of years.

On December 18, 2001, the first season (episodes 1-7, minus the pilot) of Twin Peaks was released on DVD in Region 1 by Republic Pictures, which had an output deal through Artisan Entertainment, now part of Lions Gate Entertainment. The box set was noted for being the first TV show to have its audio track redone in DTS. The region 1 release was heavily criticized for not including the key pilot episode, which could not be included due to the fact Lynch sold the rights to it to Warner Home Video in order to facilitate its video release in Europe. When the series was released on video in the US (twice by Spelling Entertainment's Worldvision Home Video), the pilot episode was excluded both times. In turn, Warner Home Video released the pilot on video; however, it was actually the European version, and was labelled as having "bonus footage". The televised pilot episode is included in the UK (region 2) DVD release from Universal Home Entertainment. A DVD collection of Season One was released in Australia by Paramount Pictures, in 2001. In 2006, Season 2 was released by the same distributor in two parts (Collections 1 and 2). In addition, the entire series was released in Australia in a box set collector's edition.

The first season DVD box set is known to have production errors, which cause many DVD players to freeze. One known track glitch occurs during the opening credits of episode 2. Another glitch occurs fifteen minutes into episode 4, during Donna and Audrey's scene in the girls' high school restroom. The European DVD box set of season two has an audio flaw where in episode 12, the center and right channels have been flip-flopped. The release of Season Two was complicated by the sale of Spelling Entertainment (which included both Republic Pictures, and the predecessor company, Worldvision Enterprises, the series' former distributor)—and later the transition of video rights—to Paramount/Viacom in 1998; and the 2006 split of Viacom into two separate companies; this saw the rights go to CBS Corporation/CBS Studios. Also, Lynch oversaw the transfer from video to DVD personally, but was delayed by the production of his new film, Inland Empire.

The first season was released on DVD by Artisan Entertainment, the video licensee for Republic, but Artisan/Lions Gate's rights expired in September 2005, and thus were transferred to Paramount. As a result of the 2006 corporate split of CBS and Viacom, CBS Studios (which ended up with Republic Pictures' and Spelling Entertainment's TV holdings) now owns the rights to the Twin Peaks series, with CBS Television Distribution handling syndication, and CBS Home Entertainment owning the DVD rights (although CBSHE releases are distributed by Paramount). The second season release was postponed several times, from September 2004, to early 2005, and then to September 2005, to early 2006. Season Two was finally released in the United States and Canada on April 3, 2007 via Paramount Home Entertainment/CBS DVD, which now acts as home video distributor. In Germany, Season 2 was released in two parts on separate dates in April 2007. Part 1 went on general release on January 4, 2007, including the "broadcast" version of the pilot episode. North American rights to the Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me film are owned by New Line Cinema, a division of Time Warner (which also owns Warner Bros.), and is available on video and DVD through New Line. In Canada, the DVD was distributed through Alliance Atlantis, which holds all Canadian rights to the New Line library.

On October 30, 2007, the broadcast version of the pilot finally received a legitimate U.S. release as part of the Twin Peaks "Definitive Gold Box Edition". This set includes both versions of the pilot. The Gold Box set also includes all episodes from both seasons, deleted scenes for both seasons, and a feature-length retrospective documentary. The set was also released in most of Europe Region 2 (not including UK). Playback announced the UK season 2 DVD release will take place on 22 March 2010.

more here: Twin Peaks media releases - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can't wait.

My video versions are getting a bit ropey after watching them so many times.

I feel a Twins Peaks DVD marathon coming on in March! :)

so the UK S1 dvd causes players to freeze?

so the UK S1 dvd causes players to freeze?

Not all of them, but the authering issue on the disk has been well documented.

Thankfully they play just fine on my old Denon. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom