1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Twin Peaks R1 box set

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Shoka, May 22, 2003.

1. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Finally got round to start watching twin peaks, Ive just put the first disc in, and it Starts with a "Previously on twin peaks" Am I missing something or Is there a PIlot episode available seperatly had a quick l;ook and can't find anything. Any ideas?

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a pilot episode, but not available on Reg 1, only on Reg 0 (Asia). It wasn't included on the Reg 1 boxset because they couldn't clear the rights for it.

The pilot is ESSENTIAL viewing. It's 90 mins long and lays the foundation for everything. It begins with the discovery of Laura Palmer's body, naturally.

I bought the Reg 2 boxset, which has the pilot included but misses out on DTS (which I didn't think was too much of a loss in this case).

I therefore have no need for my separate pilot disk so might be putting it up for sale soon ;)

It's weird you started watching this tonight as it goes, as I did too :D I've just watched the pilot and the first two episodes of the series. The end of episode 2 reminded me what this was all about. Sensational television and one of the best scenes Lynch has ever produced :clap:

3. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    When I read your post SG why do I have an image of Shoka as the bound Conan and you the vulture tearing at his flesh...hum

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Schwarzenegger isn't in Twin Peaks mate :confused: :D

5. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    He is actually. There's a picture of him in the lodge...

6. jackjones

jackjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Squirrel God,

A friend and I both got the R1 sets as bargains in Toronto and have been trying to work out the following ever since. Is there any difference in PQ between the R0 stand alone and the version on the r2 box? I heard the R0 is poor and the r2 is little better. Also does it have a commentary?

Cheers

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would need to check the R0 again but the pilot has poor PQ in general anyway. I found both the R0 and the R2 pilot to be very watchable however. On the R2 boxset, the contrast between the PQ on the pilot and the PQ on the series episodes is significant. When episode 1 kicked in, for example, I noticed some very faint freckles on Donna's forehead, which you cannot see on the pilot as it's not as sharp. The R0 has a 5.1 mix but the R2 is only Dolby Surround. I don't remember there being commentary on the R2 pilot. There is no commentary on the R0 pilot.

I will stick the R0 in later and post back with my findings.

8. jackjones

jackjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, would be useful to know. If it is the same PQ and neither has a commentary I would hunt down the R0 rather than trade in the box set.

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes of course. I wanted everything in one boxset and wasn't worried about dts, which is why I bought the R2. Also, CD-WOW were doing the R2 at a good price and I don't like importing boxsets from N America if I can avoid it because it's more fiddly getting things exchanged if there are problems. I will be sure to let you know later. But right now I have to go and move my car before Thames Water have it towed away! :rolleyes: :D

10. jackjones

jackjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool - not expecting instance response!:) Hope you avoid the flood.

I avoid imports too but quite ofetn cannot resist picking things up on trips abroad.

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, I'm back and I've done a comparison :)

The R0 pilot and R2 pilot offer different things in terms of PQ. The R0 pilot is slightly sharper than the R2 which looks predominantly like it's down to edge enhancement, whereas the R2 has a softer picture. However, the R0 pilot looks like it's a tad overly compressed and there are some artefacts in the background (a bit like the R2 of Shawshank Redemption). The R2 pilot is not overly compressed but has some noticeable grain throughout. The R0 image also looks a tiny bit 'brighter' sometimes and you can sometimes make out a little more detail in some areas of the image than you can on the R2. The few shudders that there are throughout the pilot seem to exist on both the R0 and the R2 (but obviously I didn't watch both all the way through, so don't take my word for this). On paper, I'd call it a draw. But in practice, I think the R2 has the edge on watchability.

Regarding the sound, the R0 pilot has 5.1, as I said before, and seems to have more bass than the R2 Dolby 2.0 Surround mix. I found the R0 5.1 mix to be a bit odd in places however, like some channels were sometimes a bit too compressed or of limited range.

I double checked the R2 boxset and there is definitely no commentary on the pilot. However, there are a few script notes, the same as for the other episodes. The R0 pilot has some trailers for other (American) movies, none of which I'd heard of before :laugh: , plus some cast info on Joan Chen and Kyle Maclachlan.

So there you have it!

12. jackjones

jackjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, mystery solved! Thanks for going in to detail. Looks like R0 is the way to go for my particular problem.