twin pace or thomson

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by oxygenuk, Sep 12, 2004.

1. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    iv been looking around at freeview boxes and have been lookin at these 2 (twin pace and thomson dhd4000) if i was to go for the thomson which maybe seems to better option at the moment it would be because the inputs and outputs it has which is double as much as the inputs/outputs the pace box has because the equitment i have like ps2 dvd/vhs player and a soon to have av reciever most probably.. but what would be the better one overall for quality price and your opionions plz, thanks very much! :D :confused:

2. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    or maybe if not one of these, one that has a decent sized hdd like 40gb would be nice the main features im looking for are sound like digital output so i can watch my digital tv and have the sound coming from a 6.1 reciever, tghat would be nice watchin saturday night tv movies in dolby :D , please help if u can someone. thanks

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The Pace Twin despite its problems is still probably the best of the boxes

4. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    does it include any outputs on the put like digital output etc so i can connect this to an av reicver

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    What inputs and outputs do you think you need? I see no reason for connecting a DVD player or PS2 to the Pace since it can only record from its internal tuners.

The Pace probably has most common connectors covered:

Two SCARTs. One to connect to TV that handles composite/RGB and one composite/S-video to an archive device such as a VCR.

It has both analogue (fixed or variable output level) and optical digital audio out so you can connect it to your AV receiver. Note that Freeview does not transmit Dolby Digital but a decent PLII decoder will produce excellent results none the less from the stereo output.

S-video

RF/UHF passthrough which can be configured to output either Main TV or TV2/VCR. ie it will output what you are watching/playing back or what you are recording/indepentantly set on tuner 2. I use this to pipe to other rooms in the house. Not all competitors have RF passthrough.

I think there is also a seperate composite video out which is basically the same as what appears on the RF out.

I personally have no requirement for a larger harddisc, 10 hours is more than enough for us since we record something then watch it fairly soon after. If we want to save anything for long term use or to give to someone else we archive off to a VCR. Some people have added bigger harddiscs.

For functionality I cannot fault the Pace. Some people, myself included have had ongoing problems such as lockups, picture freezes and missed recordings (in 18months I have had a handfull) but after a long period of inactivity, Pace seem to be actively trying to resolve the outstanding issues - we are due to have our third software update in as many months. Whilst I do not follow the performance of other manufactures versions, they appear not to be free of their own issues either.

-Ian

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes it has a digital output sounds good on an AV Receiver

Also usefull for puting the best songs off TMF, The Hits, or Radio 6 on MiniDisc