Twin freeview pvr with hdmi?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by waj1234, Dec 28, 2006.

Tags:
  1. waj1234

waj1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    A mate of mine just got an hd ready plasma and the freeview pic is terrible via scart. He had a look at mine with my media ctr setup via vga which he thought looked very good but it is too technical for him.

Is there a twin tuner freeview pvr with hdmi for better picture? His tv also has componant connections too so not sure it that will make a better picture or not.

Any options for him? He will not get sky though.

Cheers

Simon.

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Why do you think that HDMI will give a better picture? Having had HDMI at 576i/p/720p/1080i on my HD Freeview box, I doubt that HDMI will give any improvement over a decent RGB setup.

Are you sure he is using RGB over SCART?

3. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120

Hi Simon
    When you say via scart do you know what actual format he is using. Scart is just a kind of plug/cable and can carry (in worst to best order) Composite/CVBS; S-Video; RGB and even component although it is unlikely his STB has that.

So first check he has the STB outputting RGB and is using an RGB wired cable some are not compatible. Also make sure the scart socket on the TV is an RGB one; some are not. Sorry if you know all that. :D

AFAIK there are no twin digital tuner pvrs with HDMI so if RGB looks bad then all he can do is try different settings.

NB the Topfield PVR outputs component but if this will offer any improvement over RGB is doubtful.

Richard

Edit Ian beat me to it

4. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Yo Richard. Seasons' Greetings. :)

My Toppy with YUV out gives a slightly darker picture than when using RGB scart. I like the colours better too, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that the quality is any better.

5. waj1234

waj1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I am not sure how he has it set up to be honest, I will need to ask him. I just tried setting my cousins plasma up but it would not show my media center setup when I connected it up. It said out of range and whatever setting I tried it would not show.

I also tried his dvd player with freeview built in connected via componant but the pic just rolled but all colours were there but did not show correctly. I think his tv is faulty. You can see little green or red dots on the blacks even when not too close. Its an Hitachi but not sure of model number.

With his freeview connected by scart and the freeview set to rgb output it was still crap and his sky digi box via scart also set to rgb was terrible too.

My panny 6 series with my humax 8000t via scart was not too good but the pc via vga is almost perfect with freeview with the twin tuner and is amazing with some hi def xvids. It does not compare to the scart set up but I know the panny scart was not the best setup anyhow.

6. waj1234

waj1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    If a good scart is needed then any of the twin tuner pvr's will do. Which is considered the best at the moment? Is the Humax twin a good one?

Also any recomendations on a decent scart lead.

Thanks

Simon.

7. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    The Humax is a very good PVR and has lots of support on the forums. I have a couple of Topfields which are more expensive. Toppys do have the possible benefit of component output (see rhubarbe's comparison above though). I have one Toppy on Component to a smallish 30" LCD and one with RGB to a 36" CRT. Cannot compare as the TVs are so different but very good picture quality with both to my eyes anyway.

The Topfield also has the advantage of being easily modified with 3rd part software (TAPs). You can change EPGs etc to your hearts content. If you are not going to spend a bit of time loading stuff then that is not an advantage. Modded I think the Topfield is the best PVR. Unmodded I would probably go for Humax considering price difference.

Depends if your inner nerd needs something to do perhaps. :D

I am not convinced by expensive scarts although I do have a few.

Not used these but they have had good comments from others and look good at the price. I think main factor with scarts is good insulation.

http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/681?osCsid=7ff1765cf27e8b5ef59982d7b1cb57ba

Richard

8. waj1234

waj1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Thanks for the replies. Anyhow I went round today and he had got a panasonic DMR EZ25 dvd recorder with freeview and hdmi.

His plasma is an HD ready Hitachi and the pic with freeview was worse than the analogue picture. The freeview box was cheap but was set to rgb, connected to scart 1 which was rgb and I used a scart lead of mine which is a decent one. The picture was still very poor, almost blurry and the blacks had sort of greenish dots on it.

With the new panasonic connected it was not much better via hdmi. Dvds were not that good either, no way near as good as my media center pc on my panny pwd6.

I am convinced the Hitachi is a pile of crap as it's the same as my cousins one and were about 800 quid I think.

I do not think there is much he/they can do.