1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Twin Display and Video Cards

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Woolies Boy, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Woolies Boy

Woolies Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently using a very basic HP Pavilion 7910 PC (850Duron with 128mb) with an average quality 15" LCD screen. The computer has an AGP slot so after reading some recent posts I'm planning on a Saphire Radeon 9000 64MB card.

In addition I want the facility to monitor whatever is being watched on the main TV in the same room. My amp will provide component and S-video outputs for this (no sound is required as the kit is all in the same room). I've come up with 2 options:

1)Buy an PCTV Rave card and another identical 15" monitor and watch the video images in a window on one monitor or use both monitors for other aps.

2)Buy a Samsung Syncmaster (or similar) 15" LCD Monitor with built in TV tuner and the video inputs I need. This would still give me my twin display system but would mean the video signal wouldn't need to go through the PC.

The Samsung monitor/TV option is about double the price of the monitor/PCTV option so it is really a question of what differences in quality/performance will I notice between the two.

2. feet14

feet14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In order for option 1 to be viable, you will need some 3rd party tv display software which lets you have two tv windows open simultaneousley. One window would sit on monitor 1 and the other maximised on monitor 2.

I've not yet seen any software that can do this, but you may want to check out www.tv-cards.com.

3. Woolies Boy

Woolies Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response.

I'll check the link out. However, I will only want to watch video on one of the screens.

After some further reading I've seen that there are several versions of the Saphire card so my best bet maybe to go for one with video in and forget about the PCTV (I wasn't going to use the tuner in it anyway).

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Just a warning .... I'm not sure if the Saphire card you're talking about is a "dual-head" but if not, you'll probably find that if you add a AGP card into the AGP slot in your HP computer that the onboard graphics will be disabled still leaving you with only one (working) monitor connector.

To have dual head you'll either need to add a PCI graphics card, or get one that supports dual-head.

Victoria

5. Woolies Boy

Woolies Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's one of the things I'm going to double check on before I buy. Most of them seem to have 2 outputs though.