twin cross over unit

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by dazed&confused, Mar 26, 2006.

1. dazed&confused

dazed&confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I would like to use the preamp stage of an integrated stereo amp (or a pre/power combo) for stereo music, and still be able to use my sub woofer for music as well as movies and SACD. Is there such a thing as a box containing a second crossover that I could add to my existing sub? Or could I modify my existing sub? Or an alternative solution?

2. MI55ION

MI55ION

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +691
    A little difficult to tell since you havent mentioned what sub you have and what amp youll be using.

I presume however you have a passive sub that you want to be able to power with the same amp that youre using for normal stereo speakers. You could achieve what youre asking by adding a passive low pass crossover like this one. Of course you'd need check the sub's + main speakers' impedance to ensure that they dont go below the minimum rated load that your amp can handle.

3. dazed&confused

dazed&confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Sorry for not giving full info, it's actually an active sub made by castle. I was thinking of having one crossover set for movies and SACDs, hooked up to the 5.1 receiver at line level, and the other crossover set for music, hooked up to a seperate stereo amp.

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  5. dazed&confused

dazed&confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm not exactly sure whether it would do the job but looks like it may well do - what do you or others think? It seems to have one single line level input and one set of spekaer level in puts, so it looks like I'd have to connect the stereo amp at speaker (high) level whether I wanted to or not.

I don't know how this would connect with the volume and cross over knobs on the back of my sub. Would it simply override the knobs on the back of the subm allowing them to be turned up full?